Disaster Recovery on Win XP Home is a Disaster!!!

gailmor1

Hey Folks,

Second message here. Had problems a few weeks back trying to do a restore. Have since upgraded my machine to a 80 GB hd and new power supply which it desperately needed. Used disaster recovery which does not work. Here's what I did initially.

Formatted and partitioned the new drive. Installed Win XP Home (full disk not recovery). When the machine had booted I reinstalled retrospect express 5.6. Tried to do a restore (full) and also to copy corresponding files. I was logged in to my machine as admin so there should have been no conflicts with the user name. Managed to restore all of my data to new burly drive letters but it wouldn't give me access to my user folder. I tried opening up documents and settings and the folder was suddenly protected. Logged in under another name and tried to access the same "old folder" and it was locked. Also, retrospect never prompted me to reboot my machine after doing a full restore. It just sat.

Next, I decided to attempt the old tried and failed method of using the disaster recovery cd. My machine is NTFS and has plenty of space so this is not an issue. Also, I tried recreating a backup image from cds so that it might catch any changes that were made after the initial creation of the disaster recovery cd.

Ok, so I reinstalled the temp os using disaster recovery. It logged me on as administrator and brought of the disaster recovery screen. I went through all the steps and inserted my 1st cd when prompted. This sat and sat and sat. It loaded the disaster recovery screen but retrospect never ever attempted to restore from this cd. It went through all the prompts and asked me to insert my media. I know that the cd works because when I loaded the full OS and installed retrospect and used the application to do a recovery it copied everything with no trouble. frown.gifI even left it up last night to make sure. Some time in the night my system must have died of impatience and was sitting at the start up screen with the bios and computer info frozen on the screen. I have no idea why I'm having all these problems with disaster recovery using ntfs and win xp home. Is anyone else dealing with these same issues? Has anyone else had success with using disaster recovery to restore a partition or hard drive using win xp home and ntfs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I did notice a few messages about conflicts with dell pc's so I figured I'm post my specs here:

Dell Dimension 333 (Pentium II)

320 MB RAM

80 GB IBM Deskstar HD

Yamaha CRW-F1 CD Writer

Toshiba DVD

retrospect version: retrospect express ver 5.6 and yes, I have the correct drivers for retrospect to recognize my yamaha drive.

Archived