Bug? Problem matching files on Windows clients?

Tell me what I'm missing:

We used Norton Ghost 2002 to make a hard disk image of Windows XP/SP1 with a full set of applications that we install here. It's about 3G worth of stuff.

I used this same CD set to install this "image" to two identical Dell XPS 400s yesterday. The image had been used previously to image other computers in the current backup set.

When I add both of these two computers to the same backup set, most of the files match -- EXCEPT everything in C:\WINDOWS. So there's about 1G of "unique data" on each machine. Which there shouldn't be.

So, I make the assumption that -- somehow -- the files in C:\WINDOWS are getting unique time stamps, so I check the report logs.

I looked at the common file: "Blue Lace 16.bmp" -- on all computers -- in C:\WINDOWS.

*BOTH* files have the same information if I get info on the files from within Retrospect (current version)

Size: 2 K total (1272 bytes used)

Created: Thu, Oct 17, 2002, 9:49:27 AM

Modified: Thu, Aug 23, 2001, 8:00:00 AM

Backed up: (different)

Why are these files "unique" to the backup set? Why are the files in C:\WINDOWS not matching when all the files in (for example) C:\Program Files match just fine?

Bug in the program? Something about C:\WINDOWS that overrides "matching"?

What am I missing?

Oh, and this is with a "clean install" Retrospect 6.0 Windows client, if that mattters...

I'm stumped.

One of the main reasons for using Norton Ghost to push XP "loads" was to *avoid* the time-stamp-on-the-same-files-so-they-don't-match issue that you get if you install Windows from the Windows CD.

And I can't exempt \Windows in a selector as I'm not sure I wouldn't miss something important.

Suggestions? Every single machine we image does this -- everything but the contents of C:\windows matches previously backed up data.

Anybody from Dantz been able to reproduce this?

I checked my archives while trying to figure out a selector problem. I seem to have about 15 computers with the exact same files in C:\WINDOWS all backing up as "unique" sets of files.

And, yes, matching is on. It's just that specific directory.

This is by design. We don't match the Windows directory. In all of our testing, it was determined that restoring the Windows folder of one computer to another computer was unreliable and resulted in unexpected behavior. As a result, we backup the entire Windows directory from each machine.

Archived