Duplicate Error - backup of backup

rravel

I have executed a "duplicate" from my C drive to an external hard drive. This works fine. I want to have two backup copies so I execute a "duplicate" from the 1st external hard drive to a 2nd external hard drive. Now the "duplicate" fails. I get the following error message:

Trouble writing files, error -1013 (malformed name)

I am assuming that this is because a filename is too long. How do I find out which files are causing the error?

Skippy

I finally discovered that my directory structure was too deep. I am using Windows 98SE and there doesn't seem to be a problem with how many directories can be nested. When doing my first backup to another hard drive everything went 2 levels deeper than on my normal hard drive as I had a "Retrospect Backup" directory and a subdirectory there called "Backup of C Drive". This seemed to work just fine.

When I did the backup of my backup onto another hard drive it went another 2 levels deeper and this is when it began to fail. It appears that the Retrospect Express for Windows cannot handle nested directories of more than 10 levels deep. This is where it would fail.

My solution, obviously, was to remove the extra two levels on the second backup drive and just make an exact duplicate of the first backup drive.

You may have reached a path name limitation. The operating system can only handle path names of 255 characters or less. Path names include the name of the file. If the desitation drive had additional folders, the number of characters in the path name probably surpassed what was allowed by the OS.

Archived