Total Space Limit for Duplicate Update

wof45

I am using a Maxtor external drive and retrospect express 5.6. I have several michines networked with everything working fine except for one problem.

I back up entire logical disk drives. One of my logical disk drives contains about 20 gigabytes of files. This creates a 20 gigabyte duplicate on the first run. On later runs, during the initial startup, retrospect seems to delete files in excess of 9-10 gigabytes and then copy those 9-10 gigabytes back with any new files, rather than just copying the new files. It appears that there is a limitation in the total disk space than duplicate can compare.

Does anyone know if there is in fact a problem in duplicating greater than 10 gigabytes in total space? Any suggestions on how to get around this other than setting up multiple scripts to handle this a piece at at time?

The duplicate feature will delete any changed files before performing the duplicate. There is no correlation to the amount of files (size of files) on destination. For example, if 20 files have changed, Retrospect will first delete those 20 files and then copy the changes.

You can set up a duplicate in Immediate > Duplicate to preview which files have changed. After setting up source and destination, click Files Chosen. Retrospect will generate a browser window. Any files (not folders) with a 'diamond' exactly matches the file on the destination and will not be re-copied.

If you believe that too many files are being copied nightly, the best thing to do is set up the preview (outlined above), to see which files are being copied. They can be easily compared against the copy on the destination drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Thanks for the response, but it does not address my problem.

My problem isn't that too many files are copied. My problem is that evrey time, all files past 9 gigabytes on the duplicate to device are deleted and then recopied along with new files. It certainly appears that retruspect express loses track of what it is doing somewhere over 9 gigabytes and just doesn't check to see what is there.

Archived