Assertion check at tyce.c-2393

This morning I checked the backup server and found the error:

Trouble in Retrospect

Internal Consistency check fail:

Assertion check at tyce.c-2393

I had to restart the machine after force-quitting Retrospect.

This is the second time in a week I have seen this error, both times it has occurred during the end of the weekend backup, which runs 24-hours Saturday and Sunday. The server window is open and it says active, not polling, but the machine is hung. Any ideas? The knowledgbase doesn't include this error. Details follow:

Retrospect 5.0.238 under OS X 10.2.3

Driver 3.1.105

PowerMac G4 867MHz 'Quicksilver' with 1.1GB RAM

SCSI ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL3D Card ROM 1.6.6f0

Qualstar model 4222i Tape Auto-loader driver v 2.09

Drive Sony AIT SDX-500 driver v0107

-Chik/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Boston

Quote:

The server window is open and it says active, not polling, but the machine is hung.

OS X is _supposed_ to be pretty insulated from the entire OS being hung by any single misbehaving application (although with Retrospect accessing SCSI devices through the host adapter things get pretty low level).

Do you have another computer from which you can initiate an ssh remote login to your Retrospect server? If you open a "top" session from this second machine you should be able to see if in fact the entire machine is hung, or if just the Aqua Finder has become unresponsive. Usually killing the "loginwindow" process will get you back to the login screen (or return you to the Finder if auto-login is enabled).

Just a thought.

Dave

Oops, I meant to say Retrospect is hung, not the Mac itself. I cannot quit Retrospect normally. In fact, I do as you suggested, and run TOP in a terminal window then Kill the process. This can't be how Dantz intended the product to work however...

Quote:

I cannot quit Retrospect normally.

When Retrospect gives an assert dialog there is a single "quit" button. Clicking it has alwasy (for me) made Retrospect go away (and create some sort of log in the Retrospect Preferences folder). So I suppose "normally" in this case would be clicking this button.

What exactly were your experiences?

Dave

Archived