Bug w/Novell Server

Seem to have found a bug.... or I'm missing something......

Can't set Sub-Volume on a Novell File Server in order to do an Archive sweep of that server.

With Server volume mounted on Mac- cannot select sub-folders on Novell Served volume -for a sanity check- I CAN select sub-volumes from another Volume (being served via OS X File sharing). Permissions to Netware volume ok as I can copy onto and off Server volume in Question with no problem.

NW6 with SP2 using NSS 3 file system- Retro Server is 5.0.238/OSX 10.2.3

Anyone got any Ideas???

Hmmm... good question- I suppose we'll have to wait for some dantz folks to weigh in on this but using Novell's Native File access- I believe it's using the same IP/AFP combo used by any other mac file sharing connection.... good question though - I'll have to go do a packet trace and see what that conversation looks like.

Well - egg on my face- the volume in question was in fact mounting up before Retro got a chance to do same - and therefore - Retro could not see into the Volume. Moral of the story is secondhand information is useless (grrr). When the volume was unmounted - and retro then asked to mount it- it DOES see into the volume (no small irony that it is then blank from the "Finder" side and process has to be reversed for "Finder" use again).

Retro has ALWAYS needed/wanted to handle the log-in for a remote volume- (yes, I do RTFM) and THAT part is consistent- the change though is that the "Finder" cannot see into a retro mounted volume and retro cannot see into a "Finder" mounted volume. That - IMHO - is a bad thing (end user sees 20 Gb server drive as empty-can't explain why, lights hair on fire, dials phone.....). I'm not sure what creates that little snafu (permissions/user issues?) but it would be nice to go back to the "old-way" of doing it -in which how the volume came to be on the desktop (via "Finder" or retro) didn't really matter once it was there.

The user's going to go nuts with the back and forth...LOL....

Perhaps a different icon denoting a volume mounted by Retro (versus the "Finder")

At a minimum - this lacks the elegance and simplicity of earlier versions.

thnx again

smirk.gif

Quote:

I'm not sure what creates that little snafu (permissions/user issues?) but it would be nice to go back to the "old-way" of doing it -in which how the volume came to be on the desktop (via "Finder" or retro) didn't really matter once it was there.

The issue has to do with how Apple has implemented AFP in OS X, and how the Finder doesn't really understand root.

The Retrospect application always runs as a root process, regardless of what user is logged into the Aqua finder. When one user logs in a server volume, the login/password are valid for just that user. So the problem is evident because the Finder and Retrospect users have different effective user ID's. But if Apple File Protocol understood that root users should have the same sort of super-user access to mounted volumes that they have for local volumes, this wouldn't be an issue. That would solve the problem without going back to an old way (which I don't expect Apple to embrace) (note that I'm sure I don't understand the full scope of the issue; it may be a design goal and not an oversight...)

Dave

Archived