XP Unstable Following Backup

JeffreyLee

I have been able to successfully backup all drives on my network, but after Retrospect 6.0 terminates, XP becomes unstable and unsable. When trying to open ANY application, I get a message saying that there are insufficient resources. I am even unable to shut down Windows -- I have to hit the reset button.

What is Retrospect doing to create this kind of problem for XP after 6.0 terminates?

I look forward to someone's assistance/direction . . .

Jeff

What kind of computer?

How much installed memory?

What else is running during backup?

Do you see this error is you backup _only_ the local machine - and not the network drives?

Try disabling any non-Microsoft processes and startup items by going to Start > Run and typing msconfig.

In the System Configuration Utility, go to Services and hide all Microsoft Services. Disable all others. Repeat for Startup. Reboot and try a backup.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with 512 MB memory. This "insufficient system resources" error seems to be associated with the TCP/IP configuration. When using Outlook Express, the Internet connection fails and reports error #0x800ccc15.

This may not be associated with Retrospect, but, at least initially, the problem seemed to appear whenever backup completed successfully (all drives, including network drives, were backed up). Now, I just don't know of its cause. This problem seems to occur spontaneously without regard to Retrospect -- although it began to surface when I started using Retrospect.

I will try msconfig to do some selective background application startups and see what happens.

Thanks for your response.

Jeff

Archived