Trying to get anything to work

jwfoise

I recently purchased a Sony CRX1750U CD-RW drive. It came with Retrospect Express Backup, Version 5.5.158, Sony Edition. I have been unable to get it to work properly.

I initially tried to use the drive and Retrospect with some CD-R disks. I could not get that to work right, but I didn't note the particular error messages. I played a while with another software package that came with the drive (B's Recorder Gold) and that seemed to work ok for small file copies to disk. I also tried a demo version of Novabackup that I down loaded, but could not get that to work.

I am now trying to get Retrospect to work again. I am using Sony CD-RW disks (model CDRW650L). These disks had some stuff on them from my playing with Recorder Gold, so Retrospect first tried erasing them. The first time I ran it the erasure lasted a very long time on the first disk (~20 minutes) and then I got the error message "Device Trouble: "1-Test2", error -217 (incompatible format)". I restarted it with the exact same disk. It seemed to get through the erasure ok (I went to lunch) but when I came back it was somewhere in the middle of the backup with the error message "Trouble writing media: "1-Test2", error -102 (trouble communicating)". When I cleared the message it also stopped the backup, so I do not know exactly where in the backup it was.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional. The computer is a Dell Latitude laptop. I've had no problems running other devices off the USB ports (for example a Iomega 100MB Zip Drive).

At this point I do not even know if the problem is my computer, the drive, or the software. I would greatly appreciate some help.

I have been using Reptrospect 5.6 on my Dell 8100 with Window XP thinking everything was fine. The software has been not come up with an error messessage but has noted it ran with 4 or 5 errors---no numbers on these. I opened one of the Retrospect backup CDs and there is nothing on it. If there are 0 bytes on the CD, it's not recording--is this a correct assumption? How to get it to really backup?

I also think it stinks that Retrospect has dropped any free support and that no one from the company seems to respond to these forums. I only paid ~$70 for the drive and the software was free with it; I guess you get what you pay for. But I'll toss it in the trash before I pay Retrospect for support and then have them tell me its not their fault.

helen jeaen - Retrospect backup discs are not finalized in such a way as to allow them to be readable in Windows Explorer. If you open Retrospect, you can verify the contents of the backup set through Tools > Verify. Or, you can look at the contents of your set through Configure > Backup Sets > Configure > Snapshots (or Sessions)

error -102 (trouble communicating)

Try a new piece of media to see if the problem is related to a faulty or damaged medium. Have you tried CD-R media, rather then CD-RW?

Try using a different brand of media.

If your backup device is connected to your computer through a hub or another USB device, unplug it and connect it directly to a port on the computer. If it is already connected directly to the computer, try changing ports.

You may have a bad cable. Replace the cable that connects the device to the computer.

Try *temporarily* uninstalling any other CD-writing utilities, in case extraneous drivers are conflicting with Retrospect.

Was ASPI installed correctly? Run ASPICHK (in the Retrospect Program Files folder) to make sure ASPI is "green" and all components are at version 4.60. If not, try a reinstall (ASPIINST.exe). If you still have problems, consult the Retrospect User's Guide or Adaptec's website.

Enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI: From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

The system board or USB adapter in the computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer, if available, and try the device there as the only device.

The device itself may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on new media after changing media, cables, software and computers, then the backup device, being the only factor that has not changed, is the the last variable. Contact your drive vendor for further diagnostics, tests, or to inquire about repair or replacement.

Archived