Assertion check at elem.c-817

First it started with retrospect 4, then it continued to happen with retrospect 5 in OS 9. As soon as a backup got through its folder count and started a counting "members" the application would unceremoniously quit with no error or explanation. The same thing would happen in OS X using retrospect 5 (now 5.0.238) if using the same backup set.

With a new backup set we now get the error "Internal consistencly check failed: Assertion check at "elem.c-817" when it starts counting the members.

We are backing up a mounted AFP volume on a win2k server. We have two backup sets. One runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, while the problem one runs on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays.

I'm at my wits end trying to deal with this issue. Repairing the backup set does nothing. The only solution is to make a new backup set every other week. The Tuesday/Thursday set is not afflicted with the same problem and continues to work just fine, just as it always has.

Does anybody have any clue as to why we get this error and why it keeps happening on the three day backup?

Normal Day of the Week script set to run 3 days a week at 1am as a straight backup (look ahead 1 day) to a ADIC FastStor 40GB DLT via an Adaptec 29160 with latest drivers (G4 400 w/ 384MB RAM, OS X 10.2.3). The backup up set is configured with a normal action, no catalogue compression, hardware compression on and no security. Script selections include everything except .DS_Store, busy or invisible files. We get also get the commonly reported "Duplicate dirid detected", and the "error -127 (volume corrupt?)" errors but these don't seem to have much effect as the data has been getting backed up despte these warnings, and we only get them on 30 or so directories (out of several thousand).

I should also say that my original comments were incorrect as we are now getting the error on both backup sets (the 3 day and the 2 day), and that the crash occurs immediately after updating the Folders and when it starts matching the Sessions (not the Members). This means that we are unable to use either set now and will have to start a new one, hopefully that will work but i have yet to test it.

Any idea what "Assertion check at elem.c-817" means?

• 3 months later...

Archived