Normal Backup

erickge

I have a Maxtor 5000 DV on a MS XP Pro system and am using the included Retrospect Express code. When I do a Normal backup to a large backup set I find that it takes a long time to determine what to backup. It seems to be doing a lot of reading of the Maxtor drive. I assume that it is trying to figure out what has changed. Is there someway to speed that process up such as creating an index or catalog on my XP hard drive?

The Maxtor One-Touch sets up a Duplicate operation - which copies the files from your source computer to your destination computer. In order to accomplish this, Retrospect must scan both drives to see what has changed. If the scanning of the external drive seems to take an unreasonably long amount of time, this could indicate communication problems between the computer and the drive.

Make sure the drive is plugged directly into the computer - and not routed through a hub

Try a different cable if possible

Windows XP has a "System Restore" feature turned on by default. To increase backup stability try turn off "System Restore" from System Properties for "all drives" by going to: Control Panels > System > System Restore.

Archived