Retrospect hangs when trying to close

erickge

I have a Maxtor 5000 DV and am using the retrospect 5.6 that is included with the drive. I am using WinXP Pro. Sometimes when I try to close retrospect it seems to go into a loop. The busy light on the Maxtor flashes I/O counts increase but nothing seems to happen. If I look in windows task manager it says retrospect is not responding. When this occurs I find that some tasks will not open such as the control panel. I tried to end the task from the WTM and I get the confirmation that I want to end the task and I get the MS task abend msg about sending debugging information but Retrospect continues. When I look in the log all I get is the following msgs

+ Retrospect Express version 5.6.132

Launched at 1/29/2003 7:29 PM

instIniWriteItem: WritePrivateProfileString failed, error 5

Does the error 5 have anything to do with the hang. I see that frequently in the log.

Any suggestions on this problem?

I was looking at old forum entries and saw one entry which said that Retrospect Experss was no longer current. Is that true. If so is there a free upgrade to version 6?

instIniWriteItem -- This is internal debug logging that will be removed in a future release and is nothing to worry about. It does not indicate a problem with the program.

Hangs under XP writing to USB or IEEE 1394 (FireWire) hard disks -

Windows XP has a "System Restore" feature turned on by default. To increase backup stability try turn off "System Restore" from System Properties for "all drives" by going to: Control Panels > System > System Restore.

Click Upgrades for upgrade pricing information. Retrospect 6.0 is not currently compatible with the one touch functionality on the Maxtor drive. The drive itself can be used with Retrospect 6.0 - but not the one touch button.

Archived