Please Help!! DLT1 only 40GB

here's the setup:

Using Retro Desktop 5.0

apple g4 dual 450's gigahertz machine with 384mb ram running 9.2.2 with an adaptec LVD 29160 SCSI Card

backing up with Quantum DLT1 Tape Drive 40GB/80GB compressed

Seems as though hardware compression, and/or software compression is not functional. Have done all the things the book says to do, but nothing works. Do I need to format the tapes to be able to accept hardware compression? Or is it hopeless and I'll never achieve my 80GB goal?

Thanks,

John

How much are you getting on the tapes?

80G is "theoretical" maximum -- like if all you were backing up was database files full of empty records or something.

I've never gotten more than 62G max on any tape. mid-to-upper 50s is about what I get.

Compression all depends on the data you are backing up.

That said, the compression of a DLT drive is usually done by the hardware. Does you device have the buttons on the front that let you choose the compression size for the tape?

If so, can you "override density" to 40G compressed on your tapes and get anything any better?

I'm getting around 35GB. I'm not sure if it is compressing or not. There are no buttons on the front other than the unload button. seems like I should be getting more... any ideas? Under "Storage Devices" is has the drive listed and a tape "40GB", would this or should this be different?

Thanks

Archived