Won't Autolaunch Retrospect on Jaguar using Ver 5.0.238

Good Day:

I upgraded my machine to OS X 10.2.3 from the orginal OS 10.1.2 with the an older version of

Retropsect Server 5.0 installed. I upgraded to Retrospect version 5.0.238 but my scripts do

not autolauch at night. When I come in the morning. I open Retrospect Server and the scripts start to run right after I manually launch the program. I even created new scripts.

Stil the same problem. Will not autolaunch. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm having a very similar problem. I'm running Retrospect 5.0.238 on a Macintosh G4 Server with 312 MB of Ram. I have 8 120GB firewire drives and am backing up 16 Files servers (all Mac OS 10.2.3 Jaguar with client 5.0.540) to these drives. I started out using backup scripts. Sometimes they would run fine and then I would get one that caused Retrospect to shut down. I deleted these scripts and set all scripts as Backup Server scripts set to execute ASAP. Again some worked. I watched the process when one would fail and it scans the sets but once it decides to write to the set it just shuts down Retrospect. Retrospect will not autolaunch and continue and the only way I can get it to continue is to create a new set. If I trash the backup set and allow it to write to a new set it will work for awhile. Size of the set doesn't seem to matter. My backup sets range for 1.6GB to about 12GB. I've looked at the logs and can't find any error messages.

I to am very frustrated with Dantz's support/fee policy. Unfortunately, I had my software for over 30 days before I got it installed and running. I've used Retrospect in the past and am still running Retrospect 4 on and OS9 machine to backup client desktops and it works great. I've spent a lot of time troubleshooting, configuring and browsing the forum...but so far no answers. If you happen to find a solution...please let me know.

Quote:

I watched the process when one would fail and it scans the sets but once it decides to write to the set it just shuts down Retrospect.

Is anything written to the log file: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Retrospect.crash.log ?

>>Retrospect will not autolaunch and continue and the only way I can get it to continue is

>>to create a new set. If I trash the backup set and allow it to write to a new set it will

>>work for awhile.

Can you explain this more completely? Are you saying that if you don't create a new Backup Set Retrospect will not auto-launch, but if you do create a new Backup Set then Retrospect will auto-launch (for a while)? That simply creating a new Backup Set and editing your Backup Server script to reflect this new Destination modifies the behavior of auto-launching?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding....

All I can find in the crash logs is..GESDBUServer crashdump: Crash report written to /Library/Logs/Crashreporter/Retrospect.crash.log

sh: kill: 12,011: no such pid

There is another log with this information that corresponds;

Date/Time: 2003-01-29 15:11:38 -0700

OS Version: 10.2.3

Host GEDTCBUServer

Command: Retrospect

PID: 18499 (this number changes with each crash evert)

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0X0001)

Thread 0 Crashed

#0 0x0022a9b4 in 0x22a9b4

There is then 27 more of this type data

If this means anything to you, I would be glad to send you the complete report for one crash event.

This seems to appear after every crash.

When I create a new backup set and modify the script to point to it the new backu set then Backup Server autolaunches (Retrospect is running) and writes to the new backup set. It will then continue down my list of scripts. Sometimes it will backup all servers and sometimes not. If it crashes it will not autolaunch...Retrospect is not running. If I relaunch Retrospect then Backup Server starts again and trys to backup to the bad set. It scans all the files but as soon as it tries to write, it crashes. It's not always the same server that causes the crash. I haven't tried just recreating the backup and then waiting to see if it will autolaunch, but I doubt it because Retropect has quit. I've set the Retrospect preference to never shutdown but...

I hope this answers your questions, if not please let me know or if you would like me to try something else, I'll be glad to try any solutions you might have.

Thanks,

Archived