problem during Matching for mac clients.

Does anyone have any hints for the cause of the following problem (or

its solution):

Retrospect freezes in the middle of the Matching operation. This

happens with a variety of macintosh clients running Mac OS 9.

Running "update existing catalogue" seems to sometimes solve the

problem, but not always. The retrospect freeze also causes the backup

server computer to crash.

- Does it happen only on one specific backup set or multiple backup sets?

Have you tried a new backup set?

- Which version of Retrospect?

- Which build of OS 9?

- What backup device? While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Device Status and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive.

- Where is the catalog? Local drive? Network drive?

- Do you have mouse control when the freeze occurs?

- How big is the catalog file?

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue with Retrospect 5.0 running on a 266Mhz G3 mac with OS 9.2.2, and about 380MB of ram.

I backup about 20 computers to a raid hard drive setup (240GB). The computers are Mac OS 9, X, NT4, Win2K, powerbooks, laptops and desktops. I have applied all updates to the server and clients.

There are three users who will crash the server when the server is going through the matching process. The server will lock up completely, displaying the Matching dialog box - no mouse control, can't force quit, no response. Must be fully rebooted.

-One user is on OS 9.2.2 on a 500MhzTiBook. The server locks up when it is scanning the 2nd partition on that drive. The drive has many files on the 15GB partition, but nothing outrageous, and not more than other computers.

-Another user was locking up the server when he was on OS 9.2.2 (on a G3Powerbook). Now he has move to OS X and he is still locking up the server.

-And just today, another user (OS X on TiBook 667Mhz) locked it up forcing a reboot.

What is similar about these users, is that they are all on powerbooks. But, the server is not locking up due to them removing their computer from the network. I have noticed that the server seems lock up more often as the backup data file on the server gets larger. Could this be the issue. I am pretty sure that they don't crash the server when I start a new backup file, but I don't know when it starts (I have not kept track).

confused.gif What can I do, is there a patch/fix? Will v5.1 fix this? Do I need to upgrade the server to OS X? Why oh why does dantz lets these errors happen?? confused.gif

Archived