Lost connection with servers

OS X v10.2.3

Dual 1GHz 512mb Ram

1000MHz Ethernet

Retrospect v5.0.238

Driver v3.1.105

Initio U2W scsi

Sony SDX-500c AIT-2 w/15 tape library.

This may not even be a retrospect problem directly but it only happens while using retrospect.

Problem:

While performing an initial backup the mac loses connection with the server, the longer the back up the more likely the macintosh will eventually lose connection. I know this because I get the spinning disk and there is no activity in Retrospect or on the tape drive. Retrospect will not allow me to stop the backup. I then need to force quit. Upon doing the force quit, I will get a message that the particular server it was working on has unexpectedly quit. I DO NOT have to restart the computer, all other functions including networking are OK. Once Retrospect has been restarted I of course need to update the catalog. I have the volumes configured to mount when retrospect needs them so I re-execute my backup...and in 15 minutes or 5 hours it will happen again, it is hard to tell.

Additional Notes:

these are big initial backups with alot of files. the avg. is around 80gb-100gb per disk and there are 7 disks. A combination of appleshare and NT raids. (yes my sets fill up quickly, and I am looking forward to the 1000gb limit to be resolved). Once I have completed the initial backup the problem does not re-occur when doing the incremental daily routine. but of course the I/O time is greatly reduced. I ran this same hardware config in OS9.2.2 without any problems, but the speed of OSX is so attractive I want to stick with it. This may very well be an OSX problem, but I cannot find any info regarding this type or activity (or inactivity) w/apple or dantz. Does anyone have any feedback on this?

One more thing, why does my scroll mouse work in OSX windows and other apps but not in the retrospect log?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived