slow DVD -R write speed with Sony DRU-500A

Otto

Hi there,

I know the article with the "Some CD/DVD drives do not support "continuous writes" in packet writing mode ..." so no need to refer to it. However it is not explained WHY this is with the new Sony drive that using DVD+R or DVD+RW produces write speeds of over 200MB/MIN while DVD-R only produces bare 47MB/min (suck). And yes, the drive light goes on and long time off all the time using DVD-R.

However if you use e.g. backup my PC (which has severe other problems as e.g. creating a catalog file which is approx. 10% of the whole backup or crashing after 32CDs in sequence which makes it unusable for large backups, Marketing: hint, hint :-) works just fine and writes the backup nicely in 2x full speed - really fast!

Seems like you guys are the most reliable backup around in my small evaluation but please explain the above as DVD-R costs $0.86 and DVD+R over $2 per disk - you get the point ...

As you have quite some complaining from users about this is would be really nice to have another mode to get this fixed and write full speed (incl. the possibility to write the image in a temp area and then burn it "at once" as a possible option if you do not want to do the other suggestions in other posts.

Looking forward to an explanation why the slow speed on DVD-R.

Thanks

Otto confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Still nobody answered the question. WHY is DVD+R/RW 4 times faster with YOUR software then DVD -R ??? Other products write at full speed (2x on regular CHEAP media) without problems.

Do you realize that DVD-R media costs $0.60 whereas DVD+R is at least 4 times as expensive $2.40 ???

Please explain WHY this is and if development has any plans to change it to be more cost effective. For my part: While I like your product (a lot) this is a k.o. factor which will prevent me from buying Retrospect until this is fixed.

Thanks

Otto.

Retrospect writes to DVD-R discs with an industry standard method called Packet Writing. This drive supports packet writing, however, the drive itself has not been optimized for packet writing, resulting in lower speeds.

Retrospect uses different technology to write to DVD+RW, which is not supported by DVD-R.

Otto, I've not got a reply from Dantz on my query on the hardware support forum. It takes 20 minutes to erase each DVD+RW, but then writes very quickly. Is this normal? Overall, this makes backing up to DVD+RW a little slower than DVD-R, according to my calculations.

I'm using the DRU-500A.

Cheers,

Dave

david@kabal.org

Archived