Which product do I need?

cll2

Hi folks, I need some advice.

At home I'm running a mixed wireless (802.11b) network that includes two Macs (1 233 iMac OSX 10.1, 1 450 G4 Cube OS 9.2) and two Win laptops (1 233 Pentium WinXP Pro, 1 133 486 Win98). I run an Asante wireless router that connects to a cable modem for internet access. Also connected to the net via wireless is an Xbox game console (not important in this question), and soon another WinXP desktop machine.

The question is which Retrospect product makes the most sense for me? What I think I'd like to do is connect one, or possibly two, high capacity external Firewire HDDs to the Mac G4 Cube and have all the systems backup automatically to that drive(s). (The G4 is the system that is actually hard-wired to the wireless router.) Will Retrospect Workgroup allow that? There is no central server in the setup. I should also mention that as soon as I get one complete backup of the systems I plan to upgrade both Macs to OS10.2 Jaguar. I hesitate to do the upgrade until I have backups in hand and a plan for future backups in place.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Thanks for the info. One quick followup. I can install the software on each of the clients and then control each client's backup schedule independently? Also, I can can use one of the clients as the "master" machine since I don't run a server?

Thanks again.

Archived