CD backup problems

AndyT

I'm using Retrospect Professional v6.0 with Win2000 Pro, and an Aopen CRW4048. I have had problems backing up to CD (trouble communicating with device), which seemed to be solved after updating ASPI to v4.72. However, I'm still getting problems. Whilst backing up to CD, when I insert a new disk to the backup set the drive spins up, and then Retrospect just reports 'Please Wait.....'. Nothing happens.

Have tried a couple of different types of media with no luck.

I think this may be due to the drive being busy on insertion, as when I verify the backup set, on inserting the CD, an error -204 (device busy) appears. Could this be related?

Also, can someone give me an idea on how Retrospect should be set up with the CD writer? DMA on or off? Autorun on or off, etc. I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,

Andy Thompson

You should have DMA enabled. Make sure the drive is the Master on the second channel - not Slave or Cable Select. Make sure the internal cable is as straight as possible (not pinched or kinked).

Make sure you have the latest RDU (Retrospect Driver Update), available from: Updates

Retrospect requires minimum version 3.4.106 for this drive.

Try uninstalling any other burning software that may be on the computer to rule out a possible conflict. When inserting blank media, other programs may try to access/format the disc.

If possible, try the drive on another system to see if the problem follows the device.

Archived