Please Help: System Crash

gailmor1

Hey Folks,

I backed up my system a few weeks back and then the evil gremlins crawled into my machine and made it unusuable. I inserted the disaster recovery cd into my pc and it placed a temporary windows xp install on my "c" drive quickly. The problem is that my machine reboots and it starts the recovery process it just sits. I go through all the steps and then it asks me to insert my cd (which I do) and it just sits and sits and sits. The only way I was able to restore to my c drive was by quitting the win recovery screen and then opening up retrospect and choosing restore. I chose restore entire drive then selected the files I needed and, here's the kicker, had to choose the option to restore files from different backups and use the *.* selector to capture all the files for my c drive. The initial restore that first comes up with windows recovery sat for fifteen hours after all of the options were selected and the cd was inserted. I think that was too long, don't you?

Anyway, I got my cd to restore my c drive but now I can't get rid of the DRWINNT.TMP folder. Any thoughts???

Quote:

I go through all the steps and then it asks me to insert my cd (which I do) and it just sits and sits and sits.

Which CD is it asking for? The DR CD? A backup CD? The Windows CD?

What backup device are you using?

While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Environment and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive.

Amy,

I'm not new to backups so forgive me if anything in my reply sounds curt or smart allicky. It's asking for the first backup cd, which in my case, is 1 Backup Set C. I'm using the latest 5.5 version of retrospect. I need to do an upgrade to 6 but haven't yet. My system is a pentium II and the fat system is ntfs so you can probably understand my dilemma. I'm not sure how familiar you are with ntfs but is is very secure and my prob is that I can't delete the retro installation. When I first started the recovery, or let retro initiate it, everything went fine until it finally asked me to insert the cd that I just mentioned. Then it sat and sat and sat and sat. No pc activity for fifteen hours the first time I tried the disaster recovery. As mentioned, the only way I could restore my c drive was to choose restore> restore from across several backup sets and use a wild card operand of *.* to ensure that all the files for my c drive were selected. This reinstalled my OS but retro, because I didn't allow disaster recovery to restore it(As if it would have), didn't delete the temporary install it put there.

As for my backup device; I'm using a Yamaha CRW-F1 drive to backup data. I do have appropriate retro drivers that allow retro to recognize the drive. As mentioned, it sees the drive and sees the backup. This is not the problem. It just wont do anything. Go figure? Still, if I haven't bored you too much and you can think of anything else - let me know.

So, that's about where I'm stuck. I just ordered a burly new hard drive but I know I'll have the same problem and maybe one or two more when I try to restore a back set from one hard drive to another. Oh well, that's the least of my worries. I just want the darn thing to work.

Thanks for the reply,

Mark

Quote:

Still, if I haven't bored you too much and you can think of anything else - let me know.

Nope - not bored. Intrigued maybe. The CRW-F1 is a great drive - I should know, I use it at home for my own backups.

The first thing I noticed is that your post listed your Retrospect version as 5.5. This drive was not supported until 5.6 - which required an additional RDU (Retrospect Driver Update) to access the drive. Do you have 5.5 or 5.6?

By any chance, when you stopped the orginal restore, did you try a full system restore again - rather then the search or files and folders? Or, at the time, did you try ejecting and reinserting the disc to see if the restore would proceed?

If I'm understanding correctly - the disc was accepted for the search restore, but not for the full system restore? On the full system restore, was the name of the disc recognized?

Hey Amy,

Yes, you are correct. I'm using 5.6. That was a slip up and incorrect version because I didn't have access to check while I was posting last night. The pc that I posted with was in another room.

The initial wait was for a full restore using disaster recovery. I went through all the steps and it prompted me to insert my first backup disc which I did do. Then it loaded the disc and listed that it was the disc that was prompted for and then it sat. Also, as a side note, whenever I've created a backup set I always take the extra step of verifying my data so that in the event of a crash I can restore everything. That's why this whole issue is so puzzling to me. The only way I could restore my c drive was to use the wild card option under restore across several backs int the restoration process.

So, now I've got two windows installations sitting on my hard drive and can't get rid of the retrospect one and it's pissing me off (if you know what I mean). My system doesn't see the restored install when it boots and, since I've deleted as much as I can from the retro install, my pc wont even boot now unless I insert the window xp disc or the disaster recovery disc. All I want to do is kill the old install but I may just end up reinstalling everything and calling it quits. This sucks because if retrospect can't to a full restore to my machine with version 5.6 then I have no motivation or reason to upgrade to 6.0. Is that a fair assumption or what?

Mark

Okay - so the system is up and running so it's probably safe to assume that Retrospect is accessible.

Let's go with a live restore. Launch Retrospect.

Immediate > Restore

Restore an entire disk

Pick your backup set / snapshot

Pick your hard drive as the destination

Restore

Retrospect will overwrite the existing system - replacing it with your backup (deleting the temp installation). This should solve the current issue.

When you set up the full system restore in DR mode, the disc was accepted - but didn't continue (it sat - in your words). When you set up the search for files restore, the same disc proceeded. Ejecting the disc and reinserting it may have solved the original problem. There's no reason Retrospect would read the exact same disc for one type of restore and not the other while booted in the temp system, other then a possible disc read error.

Moving forward - give the above restore method a go -- it will bring you back to where you were at the time of the original backup.

Archived