Unable to find Client

Dfloyd

I noticed back in October someone had a problem finding the client PC's within Retrospect. I did not see the resolution to their problem. I am having the same difficulty, both systems are Win2K. The client does have 2 NIC's so I edited the registry to no avail, when I do the add client test the machine is found. (By IP and Name). Any suggestions??

If you can see the client through the Test button, but not in a multicast, there are a few possibilities:

- The client is on a different subnet.

- A firewall is blocking Retrospect's dedicated port: 497. This port must be wide open for UDP and TCP/IP traffic.

- UPD traffic is being blocked by software or hardware (typically a router).

- Problems on the network (cables, NIC, NIC drivers, hub, etc) which are not allowing proper communication.

Connect your two machines directly with a crossover cable and assign both machines static IP addresses. Can they see each other?

Do you have more then one NIC on the backup server?

AmyC.

Thanks for the response.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the laptop primarily connects via 802.11a wireless connection.

I also check the port on the local backup system using portqry and the client shows active, but the backup system shows inactive on that port, but both systems are configured essentially the same. The firewall has been turned off on both systems.

Otherwise everything else checks out

Thanks

Dfh

Archived