I just installed Retrospect Desktop 5 (build 238) on a beige desktop Powermac G3 running OS X (jaguar). Whereas this machine backed up our Windows NT server flawlessly in OS 9 over our network, this new setup isn't working. The machine is 'seeing' the SCSI device (Sony DAT drive), but when I start a new backup set, it copies a few files and then gives me the Error 102 (trouble communicating) and stops and asks for a new tape.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

I have an almost identical setup and I've been fighting this issue for months. I'm running a beige G3/300 with OS X 10.2.3 and Retrospect 5.0.238, using an Initio 9100U2W SCSI card with a Sony AIT-2 tape library. I've also tried an Initio 9100UW SCSI card with the same results. It's on again, off again for me, but the problem seems to happen most often with certain clients, but for me, only Mac OS 9 clients. Also, if it happens during a regular backup script, the tape is not used again even if it's only partially filled. If it occurs during a backup server script, the tape gets used next time. This part of the whole thing seems like a retrospect bug.

Dantz's standard answer to this error is "SCSI configuration" but I've also seen "Clean your tape drive" and "bad media". It's some kind of catch all error, and my SCSI is not misconfigured. I've tried asnychronous connections and every other thing the Initio SCSI configuration allows. I think it's due to the beige G3's SCSI flakiness with OS X. This never happened using the same cards or an Adaptec 2940UW with OS 9. I've been putting off buying an Atto card for the G3. Now that Dantz certifies the Adaptec 39160 card for use with Retrospect, I've been thinking of trying one of them but I haven't pulled a 39160 card from another machine yet. (Looking back, my decision to go with Adaptec cards back in the OS 9 days might have been a mistake! :) They're OS X support is terrible.)

I'm thinking this problem won't go away until I start running Retrospect on a G4 or at least a b&w G3. I'm reluctant to do that, because I want a dedicated backup server and I don't want to have to use a G4 just to run it. But I guess my next step is to migrate all this stuff to a G4 and see what happens.

What SCSI card are you using?

Bob

--

Bob Hayes

Systems Administrator

Artbeats Digital Film Library

bob@artbeats.com

http://www.artbeats.com

(541) 863-4429

I don't know; it's the one that came with the machine. I guess it was a mistake to install OSX. I will take it off and go back to System 9. It's frustrating; I've tried to move to OSX 4 times since it came out and there's always something that won't work with my hardware.

Is it a separate SCSI card, or just the onboard Mac SCSI? If it's a card, System Profiler will tell you what kind it is.

And I kind of agree with you on the OS 9 issue. I had to go to OS X because I need to backup files larger than 2GB, which Retrospect will not do across a network in OS 9.

Bob

--

Bob Hayes

Systems Administrator

Artbeats Digital Film Library

bob@artbeats.com

http://www.artbeats.com

(541) 863-4429

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having a problem with a similar configuration:

Retrospect Server:

G3 beige tower

192 MB RAM/193 VM

Retrospect Server version 5.0.205

OS 9.2.1

Adaptec Ultra SCSI card

LaCie/Sony AIT tape drive

The only other application running is the Now Up-to-Date Event Server, which has no activity at backup time.

Every time Retrospect tries to back up a G3 beige desktop computer, I get the dreaded 102 error, the tape spits out and the backup sits in limbo.

The G3 desktop:

160MB RAM/161 VM

OS 9.2.2

Retrospect Client5.0.198

Applications typically running at backup:

Filemaker Pro

FirstClass (an email client)

Mac OS Server Admin

Now Up-to-Date

I have successfully run my backup script without this particular computer in the list.

The SCSI card and tape drive performed flawlessly in a G4 tower, so the SCSI connection is probably not fouled up.

Archived