Restore from duplicate

I thought that a duplicate was a exact working image of a drive. I'd like to restore an old duplicate (Jan 10th) to be the working drive now replacing drive C. I have a copy of Dec. 29 registry on my desk top and the duplicate is on an USB II drive. I would like to save some e mails and a couple of personal files that I’ve added between times. There is also a lot of trash that was added to C after Jan 10th that needs to be removed. Is there anyway I can do that?

A duplicate is a proceedure which copies (duplicates) your files to a new location in Windows format. Eg: The files on the destination look the same as they do on the source. It's not a true backup - it's a copy (duplicate). The differences are:

o Backup copies files in a proprietary format only accessible using Retrospect. Duplicate copies files in standard file format so they can be opened or used right on the backup disk without having to go through Retrospect.

o Backups offer optional compression, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups offer optional encryption, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups can save old data incrementally so files deleted from the source are still available in the backup. Duplicate basically keeps a mirror image of the source so each duplicate operation overwrites previous data and only retains the current files.

o Duplicates are always a one-to-one operation; one volume is duplicated to one volume. If you have multiple volumes to duplicate you will have to create an empty folder on the destination for each disk you wish to copy. You can then define those empty folders as "Subvolumes" from within Retrospect. This will allow you to copy Source volume #1 to destination subvolume #1 and Source volume #2 into destination subvolume #2. The Retrospect User's Guide contains detailed instructions on how to configure a folder as a Subvolume.

o Duplicating of the registry is off by default

To put files back on your original hard drive after a duplicate, you would use the duplicate command again. The restore feature is used when you do a backup, rather then when you do a duplicate.

To duplicate your copy back to the orginal drive - choose your duplicate folder as the source and your hard drive as the destination. If you are restoring files from Dec. 10, and using a copy of the Registry from Dec. 29, some of your programs may not function correctly - as the Registry may not match what was on your hard drive on the 10th.

If you had Retrospect duplicate your Registry (this feature is off by default) on the Jan 10 operation, you should turn on the option to duplicate the Registry when you set up the operation to copy back to your C: drive.

I guess this means that I won’t be able to get it back to Jan 10 condition. If/when I do get it back to a satisfactory condition, how do I turn the program on to save the registry when I duplicate it? And will that allow me to restore completely from a duplicate?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived