Request media asks for same name in drive

JTief

During a normal backup to CD-RW, RE requests a partially used disk. The request is for the same name as is in the drive, however RE apparently sees it as a different disk. I made a jpeg screen shot of the prompt; the name looks the same to me. Can someone please tell me the reason for this? Is there a solution other than marking the disk missing?

I'm using Retrospect Express 5.6.127, driver 3.1.103.

Here's additional information from my troubleshooting of this issue.

Summary observations:

I'm using CD-RW as the backup media. I can't get RE to complete a normal backup with verification on. The task fails on the verification step of the last disk. During verification, RE requests the last disk by name. I'm certain I'm putting that disk back in the drive. However when using "properties" for this disk, RE tells me it's an "unknown backup set member" even though the name is correct.

At this point I ran Tools->Verify. All disks verified except the last one, which I could not read because RE would not recognize the disk as the correct backup set member. The RE log showed no disk errors.

I edited the backup script to turn verification off, and the task completes normally. (I had to mark the former last disk as "missing" to get the backup to go forward.) The "properties" show the new last disk as "backup set member" as they should.

Hypothesis: RE is not properly closing the last disk during a normal backup with verification on.

Other, possibly irrelevant data:

I'm a novice RE user and a better than average troubleshooter. In Dantz's troubleshooting guidelines, this problem falls in the "requesting media" stage of backup. I'm using a P3 machine and Window ME 4.90.3000. RE version 5.6.127, driver 3.1.103. Output device: Yamaha CRW2200E firmware 1.0C.

OK, it's hardware, software, or operator. Hardware seems unlikely because all the disks seem to run without error except the last one. Further, making a software parameter change causes the job to run. "Operator" is always the most likely. Ideas anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

This drive requires a minimum firmware version of 1.0d. From your post, I see that you have 1.0c. The next step in your troubleshooting is to upgrade the firmware from the Yamaha site.

Next, have you tried CD-R media, rather then CD-RW media, as a test? If so, what are the results?

Archived