After Restore, bad stuff happening.. BackupServer can't connect to Client?

I've been backing up my tiBook 667 (DVI) to my desktop G4, which is running Backup Server mode.

All was fine... Then last week the 10 month old 30G drive in the laptop crashed hard.

Apple replaced the drive, returned the machine, and I restored the volume using the last snapshot, whcih was, in fact, only a few hours old when the drive died. So, good, fresh backup...

However, now that I'm using the rebuilt volume, I'm running into weird and disturbing behavior.

First, regarding Retrospect, I can't get the client to be recognized by the Backup Server.

The machine shows up in the NetWork window, but after attempting to open it, I get network errors, and 'retries' until it times out.

The client is running on the laptop, most recent update : 5.0.540

The backup server on the G4 is also the most recent version.

Everything was working perfectly until I restored...

Another issue related to the restore:

I can no longer unlock my System Keychain.

Previously, the keychain opened automatically when I logged in (default behavior).

However, it doesn't recognize my login password, and in fact, I can't even create a NEW keychain.

I've tried running Apple's Keychain First Aid, but this (of course) requires the Keychain password!!!

Any tips/pointers/assistance would be appreciated. This is not life threatening, but it's still very weird, and disturbing (and inconvenient, having to constantly type in passwords...)

Retrospect is a life saver, and I shouldn't complain, but we're seeking perfection here ;^)

Many thanks, in advance...

Peter Fraterdeus

www.semiotx.com

www.fraterdeus.com

In reply to:

I can't get the client to be recognized by the Backup Server.

The machine shows up in the NetWork window, but after attempting to open it, I get network errors, and 'retries' until it times out.

If you look in Retrospect's log on the server you'll see that one of the OS X Client files on the Client was never backed up. There is an apparent bug where this file (retropds.22) cannot be read while it's providing services to the Retrospect application.

Run the Retrospec OS X Client installer and it'll work again.

As for the Keychain, have you tried running the Repair Permissions fix in Disk Utility? Or just check the permissions on ~/Library/Keychains/. Mine shows as "drwxr-wr-x me/staff" and my actual keychain file (~/Library/keychains/me) shows as "-rw-r--r-- me/staff"

Dave

Dave

>Run the Retrospec OS X Client installer and it'll work again.

Great I'll try that.

>As for the Keychain, have you tried running the Repair Permissions fix in Disk Utility? Or just check the permissions on ~/Library/Keychains/. Mine shows as "drwxr-wr-x me/staff" and my actual keychain file (~/Library/keychains/me) shows as "-rw-r--r-- me/staff"

Yes, have run Repair Permissions immediately after the restore, figuring it would be a good idea, in any case.Have also chmod and chown'd the file and the directory to be as they are on a working host. (in fact they are not different)

It's certainly weird.

I also ran the 10.2.3 updater over the installed OS.

Might be time to start again with an OS install, and then restore my data files, but what a hassle.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Peter

Archived