OSX Client -1028 error

zydeco

OK - I've got a OS 10.2.3 Client running 5.0.540. I've got Retrospect Server 5.0.238 running on another computer with OS 10.2.3. The problem I'm about to describe seems to be happening to many of my OS 10.2.3 Clients but I'll verify those once I get this one Client working.

Problem: Retrospect Server reports error -1028 (Client not visible on network) when trying to access the Client even though said client shows up in the "Backup Clients on Network" window.

Steps taken so far:

1) Successfully pinged (client to server and server to client) using both IP address and alias.

2) Pitond is running according to the process viewer.

3) Retrospect Client is ON (actually it is now awaiting first access due to item 4)

4) Uninstalled Client and reinstalled/restarted.

5) Built-in ethernet is listed as the first port under Network Preferences (I'm trying to backup over the built-in ethernet).

6) Cursed.

7) Smacked Keyboard around.

8) Cursed again.

Any ideas. Everything WAS working all of 9 days ago, before the upgrade to 5.0.540.

Thanks

Brian

In reply to:

Steps taken so far:

1) Successfully pinged (client to server and server to client) using both IP address and alias.

2) Pitond is running according to the process viewer.

3) Retrospect Client is ON (actually it is now awaiting first access due to item 4)

4) Uninstalled Client and reinstalled/restarted.

5) Built-in ethernet is listed as the first port under Network Preferences (I'm trying to backup over the built-in ethernet).

6) Cursed.

7) Smacked Keyboard around.

8) Cursed again.

Excellent - clear, concise steps - I love it. Moving on with a few suggestions...

* Try a direct crossover cable between the server and client - leaving the existing network completely out of the picture - and see if you can log in.

* Install Retrospect on another computer, as a test, and see if you can log in the client

Never mind - personal firewall was turned on in the Network Preferences Pane.

BTW - I'm sure this is listed somewhere, but what is the configuration for the built-in OS 10 software firewall (port numbers) to allow Retrospect traffic to pass through.

Thanks,

Brian

Archived