Slow backup performance...

Hi,

Late last year I inquired about backing up a large drive to multiple firewire disks:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=17260&fpart=1#Post17260

I've worked around that problem by creating a two-disk RAID level 0 volume using the OS X Drive utility. However, I've found that the backup performance is not particularly good. I have a 667 MHz G4 Powerbook with a 40 GB internal drive and 1 GB of RAM. I am running OS X 10.2.3. Performance to the RAID array is reasonably good -- I have not run an exhaustive set of benchmarks on it but I did copy a 1 GB file from the internal drive to the RAID and got about 15.1 MB/sec (it took about 67 seconds).

However, when I am backing up my drive I am only getting around 50 MB/minute. Is this normal performance? I don't think this has anything to do with FireWire vs. another type of storage, but that is almost a factor of 20 times slower versus the finder copy (and part of my data includes about 10 files occupying 10 GB).

Note that I am not using software compression but am storing this using DES encryption. Also, I want to make sure that the energy saver does not interfere to slow this down (I have the computer set to not sleep when plugged into AC power, however).

I just want to make sure there is nothing else I can do -- I started the 39 GB / 161,000 file backup last night at 6:45 pm, it finished the backup at 7:45 am and is now about 55% through the verification at 2 pm. I estimate the entire backup will exceed 24 hours.

Thanks,

Brian

Archived