Does RE 5.6 remember selected folders?

myrnalarson

I did a Document backup last week, but I selected only some of the folders and files.

This week, I added to that backup, but RE used the default file list. Doesn't it remember which folders I selected last week? Do I have to go in an "deselect" those that I don't want each time?

When using the Immediate Backup > Preview window, Retrospect will always generate a new live picture of the source. For this reason, file selection criteria is not retained. In the Professional version and higher, you have the ability to create/save a selector which will remember your choices.

With the Express Edition, you can create subvolumes (folders you designate as an independent volumes for use within Retrospect) to backup individual folders rather then the entire drive. This method will not work for individual files - only folders.

While in the Volume selection window, highlight your C: drive and click the Subvolume button. You'll see a window with all the folders on the root level of your C: drive. Highlight the first folder you'd like to backup and click the Define button. The individual folder will now be available as a potential backup source. Repeat this proceedure for each individual folder you'd like to backup.

We are definitely sensitive to people's needs for a full-featured backup product. Retrospect Express, we believe, provides this while omitting the "whistles and bells" that, while invaluable to many, are too much for the average single user. Fully customizable selectors (which allow for specific file backup, among other things) are only a feature of the full version of Retrospect, and are not likely to be added to Retrospect Express in the future.

I sure don't regard saving folder selections as a "bell" or "whistle"!

If "newbies" are your target audience, I think that creating "subvolumes" is a lot more difficult than a simple button to "save these folder selection settings".

Backup MyPC (Veritas/Stomp) can do this. It's $80 list but available at Sam's Club for $57 with a $20 rebate, net cost $37.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Yes, but via a very obscure mechanism!

From reading the manual, you can only designate a single folder and (presumably *all* of its sub-folders) as a volume.

How would you handle the situation if you don't want all of the sub-folders, or you want some of the sub-folders under My Documents for user A and and some of the sub-folders under My Documents for user B? Are multiple backups required for this, one for each folder and user?

However you have to do it, it's a lot more difficult than simply saving one's settings after selecting exactly what is wanted!

You would need to use the Professional edition, which allows for custom created selectors, if you don't want all contents in a particular folder. The Express edition has very few options beyond the default configuration, and was priced accordingly. For the more advanced features, you would need to upgrade.

Archived