Can't add clients by name

I am currently running Retrospect Server 5.0.238 on a Mac - Blue and White G3. I am able to add clients only using the add by address function. The machines are configured to use DHCP so the TCP/IP addresses will change when the machines restart or update IP address. I can not see the clients names listed in the right hand window as I used to. The clients do occasionally flash in, but I get a network error -1028 if I select the client and try to log in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat, I think. I have Retropect Backup 5.0.238 on OS 9.1; client version 5.0.540 on OSX 10.2.3. Retrospect sees the client in the list, but when I try to login I get the spinning gears for a while, then "Can't log in, error -1028 (client is not visible on network)"

I hate that error. I can't even Add by Address, because it says I need a more powerful application license code. Why did Dantz make this all so difficult. I've been using Retrospect since 1995 or so, but it's starting to get quite annoying.

BTW, before updating the client to 5.0.540, it wouldn't stay "On" -- I would switch it and it would go back to "Off" after 10 seconds or so.

Really need a fix for this. I'm testing this out before rolling this out with some of my clients; I really don't want to go searching for another backup solution.

In reply to:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd suggest you test by connecting one Client machine directly to the Retrospect machine using a single appropriate ethernet cable. If the client is a modern Macintosh you should be able to get by with a straight through cable (the ethernet ports on modern Macs auto sense the connection). Otherwise use a cross-over cable.

Configure each machines Network preference pane with a non-routable IP address, such as 10.20.10.1 and 10.20.10.2. Subnet mask can be 255.255.255.0. You won't need anything in the Router field.

Be sure you can ping from one machine to the other (in Terminal type "ping 10.20.10.1"), then launch Retrospect and see how it behaves when attempting to connect to the Client.

If it works, then you have isolated your problem to network hardware.

Dave

Archived