First full backup: questions

kthan

I executed first full drive backup and got some questions.

First, my C: drive have 8.72GB used space. But, when I backup C: drive, the size of full backup was only 6GB. Would it be normal? If yes, can you explain why?

Second, I used external Firewire (Iomega) drive as a destination. But, when I configure the device, it was not shown (even if internal hard drive and usb PCMCIA storage drive were shown). But, I can backup the files to this drive. Again, is this normal? If not, any way I can configure this drive?

Third, it takes 75 minutes to backup and compare 6GB files from C: to external Firewire hard drive. Is this average, or slow? The total time for backup solely depends on size of the files? Or, the types of files (data, application, etc.) have an effect on time?

Fourth, initial backup resulted in 38 errors (modifications-- what this means?). Looks like these are because I mistakenly opened outlook express and one internet explorer windows. Also, a live update has been in background. If open-file backup option is not chosen, do I have to close all the programs as well as system restore in order not to see an error? If I still got error(s), how can I do it to correct this? Would they be corrected at further incremental backup? What if these are one of registry/system files? (I don't think in this case, but not sure how I know the important files got errors.)

Fifth, when I choose external Firewire hard drive as a backup destination, there is an option to set the maximum size of the backup file. If I set the maximum (ex:20GB), and backup size exceeds the limit, what happens?

Finally, if I want to have a real time backup for some selected data files by using iomega automatic backup software and external firewire hard drive, would it be okay to use both Retrospect and Iomega backup at the same Firewire drive?

Thank you for your help.

Second, I used external Firewire (Iomega) drive as a destination. But, when I configure the device, it was not shown (even if internal hard drive and usb PCMCIA storage drive were shown). But, I can backup the files to this drive. Again, is this normal? If not, any way I can configure this drive?

Hard drives should not show up in the devices window, which is reserved for media devices such as Jaz, or Zip disks. Hard drives show up in this window only when the OS reports to Retrospect that the disks are removable disks. When you use a Disk backup set in Retrospect 6.0 you will be prompted to select a destination drive when media is needed - at that point you can select your external hard drive.

Third, it takes 75 minutes to backup and compare 6GB files from C: to external Firewire hard drive. Is this average, or slow? The total time for backup solely depends on size of the files? Or, the types of files (data, application, etc.) have an effect on time?

Speed is relative - the data will be written as fast as the slowest component. 6 gig in 75 minutes isn't bad.

Fourth, initial backup resulted in 38 errors (modifications-- what this means?). Looks like these are because I mistakenly opened outlook express and one internet explorer windows. Also, a live update has been in background. If open-file backup option is not chosen, do I have to close all the programs as well as system restore in order not to see an error? If I still got error(s), how can I do it to correct this? Would they be corrected at further incremental backup? What if these are one of registry/system files? (I don't think in this case, but not sure how I know the important files got errors.)

You should close all running programs during a backup. Any files not backed up because they were changing during the course of the backup will be picked up on the next incremental backup.

Fifth, when I choose external Firewire hard drive as a backup destination, there is an option to set the maximum size of the backup file. If I set the maximum (ex:20GB), and backup size exceeds the limit, what happens?

Yes, a Disk backup set will allow you to limit the size. When the maximum is reached, Retrospect will prompt you for another 'member' - whether that be more hard drive space, another hard drive or a media disk (such as Zip or Jaz).

Archived