Client fails with "error during startup"

Running OS X 10.2.3 and the most recent Retrospect client, one of the Macs on my network just can't make its client run. The client comes up with the Off button marked; clicking the On button makes it think for 10 or 15 seconds -- then it reverts to Off with the message "error during startup". A more informative error message would be handy ... but, failing that, suggestions are welcome.

- John Norris, Duke University Medical Center

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

So I installed 540 and now the client stays on but the server stops and asks for the "password" when I try to set-up the client [login]. This is a new TiBook On which I had installed the old client software and have installed the latest version.

All my other clients do not have passwords or for the ones that did I just removed them after this experience. They have and do work fine BUT I have updated the clients over the network.

The OS 9/8 Macs updated fine but I could not do the OS X Mac. The updater [what I saw in the folder] was not recognized as the correct file by the server and the Mac with the password problem is not "responding" as yet.

Thanks! ...Brian

confused.gif

Quote:

All my other clients do not have passwords or for the ones that did I just removed them after this experience. They have and do work fine BUT I have updated the clients over the network.

The OS 9/8 Macs updated fine but I could not do the OS X Mac. The updater [what I saw in the folder] was not recognized as the correct file by the server and the Mac with the password problem is not "responding" as yet.

The OS X Client runs as a root process; if you remove the password authentication you have a unix computer accessable to anyone with a copy of Retrospect who can then take or add any files anywhere on the system. If these machines are connected to the internet you have a very dangerous situation (easy hosts for DOS attacks, easy target for stolen data, etc).

Retrospect 5.x for OS X Clients still does not have any network updater. The one that comes with the software is for OS 9 clients only. To update clients you have to visit the machine in person.

Dave

Archived