Another user with DirID problems

I have seen various problems with Duplicate DirID and -127 listed here, and I am having the same problems. As in another thread, this only happens with Retrospect running under OS X 10.2.3, but does not happen under 10.1.5.

Configuration:

Desktop Mac running OS X 10.2.3, Retrospect 5.0.238 with driver update 3.1.105

Server running AppleShare IP 6.3.3 on OS 9.1

History:

I am backing up an AppleShare IP server from my desktop Mac. I log in as root and mount the server volumes on the desktop (using AFP) to avoid the AppleShare IP server crash issues. Some of the server volumes report Duplicate DirID / volume corrupt errors on a few folders. Neither Disk FirstAid or Norton can find any problems.

I copied the parent folder of one of the offending folders to an unused volume on the server to isolate it. The folder still reports problems when scanned either from a full volume scan or defining the parent folder as a subvolume. I then proceeded to strip as many files as I could from the offending parent folder and problem folder while keeping the problem present.

I found a few interesting interactions during this process. The offending folder is now empty (except for containing a hidden .DS_Store file). The parent folder contains about 120 some odd other files and no other folders. If I delete any files from the parent folder (it doesn't seem to matter much which file), the problem goes away. If I copy another file back in to the parent folder, the problem re-appears. Again, it doesn't matter if the file I copy back in is the one I deleted, or some new file that has never been in that parent folder before!

If I copy the parent folder to a local disk on my desktop Mac, the local copy of that parent folder/problem folder does not have any problems. If I copy the local non-problem folder set to a third drive on the AppleShare IP server, the problem re-appears if I scan that third volume.

I would be willing to Stuff and send that folder set to someone at Dantz if that would be helpful in diagnosing this problem.

Thanks.

Michael Christian

This is still a problem for me as well. I have noticed that it error appears when the retrospect Preview window moves from "Scanning..." to "Privileges...". can anyone explain what is occuring at that point so I can try additioan troubleshooting on my end? This problem is very frustrating, and has been going on for several months.

Charlie

Archived