Error in log

EvB

Hi Forum,

My Maxtor 5000DV external harddisk came with Retrospect Express 5.6.132

Every time that I use the program (and even when I only open and close it) I get the following error message in the log:

"instIniWriteItem: WritePrivateProfileString failed, error 5"

Does anybody have an idea what this means?

Thanks

In reply to:

"instIniWriteItem: WritePrivateProfileString failed, error 5"

instIniWriteItem -- This is internal debug logging that will be removed in a future release and is nothing to worry about. It does not indicate a problem with the program.

OK, thank you AmyC.

I assume that I will be entitled to download this future release as an update when it is available, right?

There is another issue with Retrospect Express 5.6.132, in combination with McAfee Virusscanner version 4.5.1 SP1. The status screen of McAfee shows that the file "launcher.exe" is constantly being scanned, approximately twice per second.

This happens when the McAfee "System scan" is working, and is scanning for inbound and outbound files.

I temporarily solved this by making an scan exception for the "Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect" folder, but of course this is not a real solution.

Any idea why this is happening? Is this file "launcher.exe" being changed that often?

Thanks again.

In reply to:

I assume that I will be entitled to download this future release as an update when it is available, right?

The error is cosmetic in nature and does not affect functionality. The problem is specific to the Maxtor One-Touch release, which is a special build made for Maxtor. At this time, we don't when or if there will be updates to this particular product line. Sorry for any confusion on my last post which was a little misleading.

The launcher.dat file is part of the service which automatically launches Retrospect. This file is always in use - checking the time in order to determine whether or not Retrospect needs to launch itself.

Thanks again AmyC, all clear now.

I have found out that it is possible in McAfee 4.5.1 SP1 to make scan exceptions per folder or per file. So I now have made a scan exception for the file "launcher.dat" only, and all other files in the "Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect" folder are scanned.

This I find an acceptable work-around.

Best regards,

Ed

Archived