How to Restore

cma6j

I tried a Quick Restore of 4 files I had picked out. This is described on pp. 28-34 of the pdf manual.

It is not clear from the manual as to where the files are restored: overwritten over the files on the HD or in a completely separate folder.

After the restore of the 4 files, I got an error message: "State information not restored, can't access Snapshop."

Whether I backup or restore only 4 files, RE takes forever to take a Snapshot. This really slows down the process. It is not clear what that is for.

From the Knowledgebasecolor=blue>

What does it take so long to build the Windows Snapshot? Why is my backup so slow?

Because of the limits of the Microsoft APIs that we use to copy file

permission (NTFS Permissions), we have two choices: back up permissions for files on this volume or don't back up permissions for files on this volume. The permissions for each file are not seen as separate entities.

If you backed up an entire drive but used the preview button to select only

a single file, Retrospect would indeed back up permissions for the whole

drive if the option to back up permissions was on. It is part of the

Retrospect snapshot, like the registry, which would also get backed up in

it's entirety regardless of the number of files you are backing up.

If you restore files for which you did not back up the permissions, all the

data would restore correctly. Any user logged on the the workstation would

have full access to all files and folders after the restore though.

NTFS permissions are saved when Retrospect creates the Snapshot, and even if only a single file has changed, Retrospect must still read and copy all the permissions. This takes a very long time. The more files and folders, the longer it takes to copy the NTFS permissions. If you do not need the NTFS Security Permissions, you can turn this option off under "options" in your backup script.

-

Regarding restore destinations - there are many options regarding your restore location. The default is to restore to a new folder.

When picking your destination you have 4 choices - each one is explained in the Destination window when you make a choice. See the following tutorial (Steps 3 and 4) for the choices.

You'll see a one line summary of the choice you made - where the restore is going and what it will do. In this example: copying files and folders to a new folder on ....

For a complete list of tutorials, please see:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27640

Thanks for the info, Amy, but it is completely beyond me. all this talk of APIs and Permisions.

I am at a much more basic level. I can't even do a backup and certainly can't use scripts.

The only backups I have done have been by pushing the OneTouch button.

Could you assist me in how to do a simple backup to an external HD using RE 5.6, where I will be able to restore the data back to its original position. Is this possible?

To start fresh, I first I want to get rid of all the backup sets that RE may have created.

Thank you, Linda

You can get rid of the backup sets by going to Configure > Backup Sets and using the Forget button to get rid of each set.

The following tutorial will walk you screen by screen, with step by step instructions on how to do an Immediate Backup to a hard drive:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27446

The next tutorial will walk you through a restore - screen by screen:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27462

Hi Amy:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the tutorials but they have not helped. That is why I came to the Forum for some help.

I have an external HD. Is that the problem? Does RE backup to an external HD or am I trying to do the impossible? If it doesn't, could you refer me to some software that backs up to an external HD?

Thank you, Linda

The tutorial is for backing up to _any_ hard drive -- external or otherwise.

From Step 5:

Once you have given your backup set a name and have chosen the Storage Type, click the New button to save the File Backup Set to your destination hard disk.

-- In other words, when you are asked where to save the backup file - save it on your external drive.

Archived