Backup Strategy

kthan

I just got Retrospect Express 5.6 and have some questions about backup strategy. For reference, I am using Dell laptop (Inspiron 8100) with internal CDRW and iomega 80GB Firewire(external) hard drive in Windows XP professional (NTSF).

First, I will use external firewire hard drive as main backup drive. But, it is not a bootable drive. Can DR's disaster recovery disk (CD or floppy) still recognize the firewire drive and restore it to new internal(primary) drive without installing OS? If yes, do I have to format the drive first (by using Windows XP CD?), or I don't even have to do it?

Second, I know there is a "progressive backup" (incremental backup) in Retrospect. Suppose I made a full drive backup (not 'duplicate) for the first time, and then schedule incremental backup regulary. If the registry/system file of my hard drive is being gradually

corrupted (due to a series of program install/error , software conflict/crash, etc), and finally

something(ex: disk failure) happens, how do I know for sure the time-point of backup version for recovery. Intutively, I can easily go back to the time point right before (or one day before) the disaster happens. But, it doesn't necessarily mean that the resotre version will not contain any corrupted files in registry/system files. It seems to me very difficult to pick a safe time point for recovery unless I restore the original(first time full drive backup which does not have any corrupted files). I will do disk file check (at storage management) eveytime before making a backup. Is there anyway I can check the integriy of registy/system files before I backup as well? (Or, any idea/suggestion for this?) Also, how do I keep my data files most up-to-date? Once the recovery from a backup version has done, do I have to go back to backup drive, select data files, and overwrite current data files backed by full drive restore?

Third, I found in this forum a combining strategy between Retrospect and Ghost. Initially, make a image file (not duplicate) by using "Ghost," and then do the backup with Retrospect.

But, I am not clear what kind of image file and backup for this combination. Would the image file just store the file structure and application info (folder) (as well as system/registry files?)? Or, actually a full drive image including OS and actual programs(applications) (taking same disk space as the current used space in the primary hard drive?) . Depending on the answer to the first question, I should decide either just data backup or full-drive iniital backup + incremental backup with Retrospective.

Some people say that this combination will make the whole restoration a lot faster, compared to Retrospect only restore? Is it true? In addition, I know Ghost is a clone program. Then, what is the difference a clone (Ghost) and full drive backup (Retrospect)? Both seemed to look same, including disaster recovery CD/disk.

Finally, if I use my backup not through network drive, is it okay to use Express version, not upgrading to Professional? Or, is there any other differences in features between the two?

I am so sorry for this long, dummy questions. I really appreciate your valuable comments/suggestions to this thread. Thanks.

In reply to:

Can DR's disaster recovery disk (CD or floppy) still recognize the firewire drive and restore it to new internal(primary) drive without installing OS? If yes, do I have to format the drive first (by using Windows XP CD?), or I don't even have to do it?

Yes, a Retrospect created Disaster Recovery CD will recognize your external hard drive and will be able to use backups stored on that disk for restore purposes.

In reply to:

Is there anyway I can check the integriy of registy/system files before I backup as well? (Or, any idea/suggestion for this?)

Any good disk utility program can keep watch on the health of your system.

One thing to note, the Express edition will only allow you to restore from the latest snapshot. Historical snapshots are not available for full system restores. Because the registry is stored in the snapshot, you'd only be able to restore the most recent copy of your registry. Historical files can be restored either through a search restore or by selecting files while browsing sessions (Configure > Backup Sets > Properties > Sessions).

In reply to:

Also, how do I keep my data files most up-to-date? Once the recovery from a backup version has done, do I have to go back to backup drive, select data files, and overwrite current data files backed by full drive restore?

You can continue using the same backup set after the restore. Retrospect will only backup the new or changed files since the last backup. You can also do a recycle backup which will erase the contents of the set and start your backup over from scratch.

A Ghost image will copy an entire drive or partition. You cannot make changes at a file level and the image cannot be altered once created. Retrospect backs up the files initially and incrementally backs up changes.

The Express Edition cannot completely backup a network drive - NTFS permissions and the Registry along with other system state information will not be included. This method is only useful when backing up data files. The Professional edition comes with two client licenses which will allow you to fully backup client machines. It has more options, preferences and scheduling features.

Thank you for your response.

I got some further questions: If disaster recovery CD can recognize external hard drive and restore the backup files to new internal(primary) drive, I don't have have to even format the new drive?

If I want to backup into two different destination (external hard drive and CD-RW drive), do I have to create two different scripts even if the two are identical full drive backup + incremental backup? Also, if I make a backup schedule, do I have to choose two different times for automatic backup?

I heard that Retrospect check the disk file system check and registry/system file check before making a backup. This means that I don't have to manully check up? Also, if there is currpted file(s) and/or registry(system)files, Retrospect wouldn't back them up? If this is not true, please tell me the best way to check the disk file sysetm and registry/system file checkup before backup to Retrospect.

In reply to:

I got some further questions: If disaster recovery CD can recognize external hard drive and restore the backup files to new internal(primary) drive, I don't have have to even format the new drive?

That's correct.

In reply to:

If I want to backup into two different destination (external hard drive and CD-RW drive), do I have to create two different scripts even if the two are identical full drive backup + incremental backup? Also, if I make a backup schedule, do I have to choose two different times for automatic backup?

You can have mulitple backup set destinations in a single script. The script schedule can be set to backup to each backup set on different days, weeks or months - or even both on the same day. You can have multiple schedules in a script.

In reply to:

I heard that Retrospect check the disk file system check and registry/system file check before making a backup. This means that I don't have to manully check up? Also, if there is currpted file(s) and/or registry(system)files, Retrospect wouldn't back them up? If this is not true, please tell me the best way to check the disk file sysetm and registry/system file checkup before backup to Retrospect.

Retrospect is not a disk utility program and should not be used in place of a regular maintainence program (such as Norton or McAfee, etc.) Retrospect may or may not backup corrupted files and/or corrupted Registry entries - there's no guarentee that Retrospect will find corruption in your system. Your best bet is to use a utility designed to check the health of the system.

Archived