Xserve +Quantum DLT220 + Atto ul4d = Crash

All firmware is up to date. Cables are LVD 160. Proper termination. Apple System profiler recognizes the Quantum DLT 220 drive. Restrospect sees the drive, but when I click "Configure - Devices" it sees the drive and reports it "Running" It gives me the Tape wheel spinning ICON for about a minute. then I get the Spinning ball of death. I must then force quit Retrospect. When I relaunch retrospect, it does not see the drive. System profiler still sees the drive, but I must restart the server for Retrospect to see the drive. The DLT drive is the only device on the Atto channel. It is set to ID #3. I have tried #1,2,3 and 6 with the same results. Once the spinning ball of death comes up my Processor lights peg and retrospect is froze. I am at a complete loss with no where to turn. I have placed the DLT drive with cable and terminator onto a 9500 running retrospect and the DLT works flawlessly?

What am I missing

the 9500 is running 9.1

We only have the one xServe and the one UL4D Atto card. I read that Dantz has tested the UL3D card, but not the UL4D. Atto recommended the UL4D. I purchased it on their expertise, knowing that they are the OEM for Apple. However I am afraid that it might be the 3d to 4d that might be causing my problem. I do have other G4's that I can install the Atto card into. I was hoping to find someone else that already had this configuration in a proven work environment.

Thanks

Terryh

Archived