Tapes not ejecting

Jeph

What I have found is that when using Retrospect on Win 2000 or XP and a VXA-1 tape drive, the tape will not eject, it may eject immediately after an attended backup but not after leaving it overnight to do the backups.

I see that Retrospect automaticaly stops the Removable storage Service :-

"Removable Storage Management: The Removable Storage management console of Windows 2000/XP allows you to manage tape libraries and other storage devices in conjunction with the operating system’s built-in backup utility. Because this interferes with Retrospect’s access of those same devices, Retrospect automatically disables the Removable Storage service when it scans the SCSI bus for devices.With the service disabled, you cannot use the Removable Storage management console."

- from Read Me - http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27485

Retrospect does not seem to restart the service after stoping it!

And the eject button on the drive does not appear to work when the service has been stopped for a certain length of time.

After manualy restarting the Removable Storage service I can eject the tape.

It annoys the hell out of our users to tell them how to restart the service manualy, or to reset the PC, just to get a tape out of the drive, when all they should have to do is press the button on the drive to change the tapes following the schedule we give them.

Is there any soluton to this?

In reply to:

Retrospect does not seem to restart the service after stoping it!

You can stop Retrospect from disabling the Removable Storage Manager in Configure > Preferences > Media > Handling.

In reply to:

And the eject button on the drive does not appear to work when the service has been stopped for a certain length of time.

After manualy restarting the Removable Storage service I can eject the tape.

I've never seen this before - the RSM shouldn't have any control over whether or not your eject button on your hardware works or not.

I would recommend not having Retrospect disable the RSM or set the option to eject tapes when quitting (Configure > Preferences > Media > Handling). After a script has completed, the tape will eject.

Archived