Quick Incremental Backup

cma6j

I tried the example on p.27 of the RE User's Guide but it did not work. I changed 5 files (about 10K worth). RE instead wanted to do an incremental backup of 2.5 gigabytes??!!

The manual says, "Start RE and click Backup button. RE goest to the Immediate Backup Summary Window." But the most important issue of all is ignored by the manual: what to choose in the Destination dialog, e.g., which backup set?

I have been unable to get the incremental backup to work.

Have you done a first, initial backup of all the data to this backup set? For incremental backups to work, you must use the same backup set used in the full backup. Retrospect cannot match against different backup sets.

In other words, if you complete a full backup to Backup Set A, you cannot use Backup Set B for an incremental backup - you must use Backup Set A in this scenario. If you complete a full backup to Backup Set B, you can then use Backup Set B for incremental backups.

Thanks, Amy, though I am still not sure how to do a full backup and then incremental backups.

I did a OneTouch Duplicate backup when I got the Maxtor, which apparently created "Backup Set A". Later, using the RE software, I did a backup called "Backup Set B"

But the software lists only the date of the backup set. It does not tell the size of the backup set, the location (HD or external HD) or whether it is an full or incremental backup.

Can you guide me how to do what should be a simple thing: I want first delete all the backup sets, none of which have worked.

Then do a full backup.

Then do an incremental backup for each of Monday-Saturday.

Then start all over on Sunday with a new Full Backup.

I have been reading the 200+ page pdf manual that came with RE, but they nowhere give you a simple procedure on how to do ordinary Full and Incremental Backups.

Perhaps you could refer me to a website that covers that or to a user who has been able to do that.

Thanks, Linda

Archived