Backing up multiple system folders

I have a RevRdist system with 3 unique Mac OS System folders on it. I have Mac OS 8.6, 9.0.4, and 9.2.2 System folders that are used by different Mac computers. Retrospect won't back up all of the extensions found in each Mac OS version's System folder/Extensions folder. But all other folders inside the System folders are backed up completely. For example, Retrospect will stop backing up Mac OS 8.6 extensions when alphabetically it gets to the Microsoft extensions. Retrospect will stop backing up the Mac OS 9.0.4 extensions when alphabetically it gets to the Open Transport extensions. This affects the backup of operating system and application extensions. These System folders are on a Mac OS X Server HFS partition and the folders are not blessed. It's critical that a complete backup occur for each System Folder. I can't find an answer to this on the Dantz web site or in the Retrospect manual. Any help is appreciated.

Retrospect will backup each and every unique file in your system. Matching is the scheme for comparing file attributes to determine whether files are identical, which then allows intelligent copying to avoid redundancy. Also see incremental backup.

If one of the criteria has been changed, Retrospect will back up the file again. On a Mac, Retrospect looks at name, size, type, creator, creation date and time, modify date and time, and label. If the _exact_ same file exists on multiple systems, Retrospect will only backup the file once. The snapshot will recall that the same file existed on multiple systems.

I assume this is what you're seeing when you say For example, Retrospect will stop backing up Mac OS 8.6 extensions when alphabetically it gets to the Microsoft extensions. Retrospect will stop backing up the Mac OS 9.0.4 extensions when alphabetically it gets to the Open Transport extensions.

If the intelligent backup that AmyC talks about makes you uneasy for your specific needs, you could create a script for these folders that has matching turned off.

Define each of these System Folders as a Retrospect Volume, make a new Backup Set using these Volumes as the Source, use whatever Catalog you want as the Destination, and select

Options->More Choices->Matching->(don't)Match source files to backup set.

Dave

Archived