Tape Media Locked

johnm

Hi,

I have changed from Echo to Retrospect on an ADR tape drive. Having used my stock of new tapes I'm now at the stage where I want to overwrite my old Echo based backups.

Sadly, I can't erase these tapes since Retrospect tells me that te media is locked (error -211). The Write Protect tab is not set to locked in the tape cartridge.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can erase these tapes and use them as Retrospect backups?

Regards

John

I'm already running Retrospect 5.6

The problem seems to be that the Echo Software used to backup the data to the tape about 4 months ago has set somethingon the tape that Retrospect is reading as a 'media locked' flag.

What I need is a format command for the tape (and to be able to force the format through) but can't find anything in the software to do this.

Regards

Hi,

Are you running the current firmware for the drive? I know that the onstream drives often require firmware updates for Dantz compatibility.

You may want to try reinstalling the echo software, do a long erase or format on the tapes (if they have that kind of option) and then try Retrospect again.

If Retrospect displays the tapes as locked, that is probably a message being reported by the hardware itself...Maybe Onstream would be willing to swap out the tapes under warranty.

Hi there,

Thanks, I'll check the firmware version on the drive.

If I have to I'll have a go at installing the Echo software again but I think this means uninstalling the Retrospect s/w so that there isn't a clash on the tape drive.

I'll be back with the results soon.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've found the solution.

I contacted OnStream who sent me a piece of software called "tape first aid" that initialises tapes written with Echo software.

More will follow when I've tested the tape I've just initialised.

John

Archived