Multiple Scripts using the one Backup Set

Hello all

I am new to Retrospect and was wondering how the following would work (without fiddling around for hours and chewing up CD-R's smile.gif). If anyone knows off the top of their head I would be grateful.

I want to create backup sets called, eg, "Docs A" and "Docs B" onto CD-R discs. I want to use the A set one week and the B set the next. Every xxx weeks, I want to do a new media backup, making the Backup Set go from "Docs A" to "Docs A [001]" as is the norm.

But ...... I would like to have more than one script writing to the backup set. I want to have different cycles and different compression settings, you see.

My question is: Does Retrospect handle this sort of arrangement? Does it get confused if more than one script had a new media schedule? Or should I pick one of the scripts to rotate the media and the others just do normal backups all the time?

Thanks muchly in advance.

~ Michael

In reply to:

My question is: Does Retrospect handle this sort of arrangement? Does it get confused if more than one script had a new media schedule? Or should I pick one of the scripts to rotate the media and the others just do normal backups all the time?

You can set multiple scripts to use the same backup set - think of it like a big drawer, if you want to put socks and sweaters in the same drawer, Retrospect doesn't care. However, once you schedule a New Media backup for a backup set, it will affect the backup set as a whole. In other words, if two scripts are using Backup Set A and one script performs a New Media backup, then _both_ scripts will be updated to use Backup Set A [00x]

Archived