elem.c-817 error backing up windows client

I'm a long-time Retrospect user and have a selection of Macintosh and windows client being backed up by a server running under OS X. Recently (yesterday), I upgraded to the most recent version of Retrospect (5.0.238 with the 3.3 driver update) and since then at least one of my Windows clients is consistently causing Retrospect to error out with elem.c-817. Since I haven't seen this on the net anywhere, I fear I may have discovered something "new".

Every time it accesses a specific Windows machine, Retrospect dies with the elem.c-817 error while the rest of the screen is indicating:

Scanning...

1 folders, 0 files...

Any ideas?

-Gaige

What happens if the source is a subvolume (folder) on the client machine, rather then the entire client? Is the error replicated? If not, try other subvolumes to see if the problem is specific to the scanning of a particular directory.

Do you have other Win clients that are backing up properly?

What OS is the Win client? What version of the client software?

Do a search on the Windows client for any files named Finder.dat (these are hidden files - so be sure to set the Win client to show hidden files and folders). If you find any finder.dat files, delete them.

• 4 months later...

Archived