Can't Create Disaster Recovery .iso

dluery

I have Retrospect Express (version 5.5.158) which came bundled with a Seagate tape backup. My operating system is Win 98 SE.

I dutifully performed a backup (incremental) and then attempted -- for the first time -- to create a Disaster Recovery CD. I noticed that the Wizard did not ask me to enter my Windows Product Key / ID number, which I thought was odd.

Most important, at the end of the process, the *.iso file was NOT saved, hence I was not able to create the CD. I ran the Wizard 4 times, each with the same result (and rebooted once along the way). I did notice that during the process the following files were created but then was erased at the end of the process:

- 9xSystem.rbf

- 9xSystem.rbf.rfc

Finally, from the log, the critical error message is "No registry to restore from this Snapshot." Now clearly there is an intact Registry file on my system, otherwise I would not be able to use my PC to type this message, so I find that error message most incomprehensible.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

David Luery

To see if your backup contains a registry backup, go to Configure>Backup Sets. Select your Backup Set and select Properties. Select the Snapshots tab and choose "Properties" for the Snapshot in question. We will then display File System attributes as well as Registry backup information (System State).

If Registry is not listed for the snapshot, take a look in your operations log for the backup from which this specific snapshot was created. For example if the snapshot is dated 12/27, look in your log for entries from 12/27 and see if there are any errors during the backup.

Thanks for the reply.

Between the time I sent my initial message and receiving your response, I did a new (full) backup (I had previously been trying to create the disaster recovery CD from an incremental backup that had run onto a second tape). This time I was able to create the CD -- though I'm still mystified that the Wizard didn't ask me to input my Windows Product Key/ID (no matter, as I just xeroxed the cover page of the Win98 manual and stapled it to the printed instructions also generated by the Wizard).

Incidentally, in answer to your question, the backup does contain the Registry.

Do you think that the earlier problem might have been due to (1) the incremental backup running onto a second tape or (2) that I was using an incremental backup instead of a full backup? In principle neither should matter, so I'm wondering if there is some 'bug' in the version of the software that I have.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

David

Archived