Incremental backup to file?

tazmaniac

Am new user. I'm backing up to an external Maxtor USB drive. Just want to make sure I understand. When I start a week with a "Recycle" backup to file and then follow it each othe day of the week with a "Normal" backup to same "set", it appears to be appending the daily incremental changes to the single file. Is that correct?

I just don't want to punish the hardware with a full backup EVERY night.

Thanks.

Amy, how do you get either a "Normal" or "Recyle" backup? I am not given either of those choices when I start the Retrospect Express Software.

The only way I have found to do backups to the Maxtor is by pressing the OneTouch button. And the only way to do Restore is by dragging files from the Maxtor drive back to the C: drive. Restore is very inconvenient compared to other software where you can pick the files you want to restore.

The Maxtor set-up does a Duplicate operation, not a Backup (which allows for Normal and Recycle backup operations).

A duplicate is not truly a backup/restore operation. Duplicates copy the files to the destination in Windows format. While a backup copies that data into a proprietary format - which requires Retrospect in order to access/restore the data. For more information on the differences between a backup and a duplicate, please see the following articles and tutorials on backing up to hard drives:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27646

If you'd like to set up an actual backup, rather then a duplicate, you'll need to set this up within Retrospect, and not through the One-Touch wizard.

Amy, thanks for the distinction between the Maxtor and RE backups.

But the Maxtor backup is the only one I have been able to do.

How would I do a RE full backup and then incremental backups or should I stick to the Maxtor?

Thanks, Linda

Based on your terminology, I would like to do a Recyle or Full backup once a week, and a Normal or incremental backup the other six days. Is there a technique to do that with either the Maxtor OneTouch or with the RE software?

Thanks, Linda

You can make a script in Retrospect directly - you won't be able to use the one touch for this type of script.

The following tutorial will walk you through an Immediate Backup to hard drive.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27446

Once you have set this up according to the tutorial - and BEFORE you go to step 7 and actually click the Backup button - click on the clock icon in the tool bar. This will create a script for the backup operation.

Name the script and then go down to Schedule. You'll need to add 2 Day of Week schedules:

1. Recycle backup every <check day of week> at xx:xx time

2. Normal backup every <check all other days of week for incremental> at xx:xx time

Close the script, save the changes and you're done. You can close the Immediate Backup window, which will still be open and close out of Retrospect. The script will run nightly at the designated time.

Amy, I printed out the tutorial but got stuck on the first step. It says "Start a Progressive Backup". But I don't have any "Progressive backup" when I click the "Immediate/Backup" buttons.

Also I am not interested in an automated backup. I just want to be able to do a complete (is that called a "Recycle") backup. After I accomplish that, I will work on how to do incremental backups, but one thing at a time.

Thanks, Linda

Amy, there is no clock in the toolbar.

Can we do something much simpler? Just a full immediate backup to the external HD. No scripts or automation.

Thanks, Linda

Once you have set this up according to the tutorial - and BEFORE you go to step 7 and actually click the Backup button - click on the clock icon in the tool bar. This will create a script for the backup operation.

Name the script and then go down to Schedule. You'll need to add 2 Day of Week schedules:

1. Recycle backup every at xx:xx time

2. Normal backup every at xx:xx time

Close the script, save the changes and you're done. You can close the Immediate Backup window, which will still be open and close out of Retrospect. The script will run nightly at the designa

Archived