Network failure

I have a dual 800Mhz G4 with a factory installed four port ethernet card. I have interfaces configured on the built in port and two of the four ports on the card. It is functioning as a webserver. Since I have put this machine into service 45 days ago I have routinely experienced complete network failure during a Retrospect backup process. However, it has also failed once or twice outside of the backup so I think it might be a function of network load rather than a Retrospect problem. I haven't absolutely confirmed this yet but I think that all three interfaces go down at the same time. The only clues I have are the following entries in the system log. These entries have been present on every failure.

Dec 30 16:38:46 webserver1 mach_kernel: DEC21x4: Link FAIL

Dec 30 16:38:46 webserver1 configd[98]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/restart-AppleTalk

Dec 30 16:38:46 webserver1 AppleFileServer: AFPServer::AbnormalATListenerShutDown - clear listener

Dec 30 16:38:53 webserver1 mach_kernel: DEC21x4: Mii100BaseTX_FD Full_Duplex MiiLink PASS

Dec 30 16:38:53 webserver1 configd[98]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Resources/restart-AppleTalk

Any ideas?

Make sure Retrospect is listed as the first interface. Go to your Network preferences and Show: Active Network Ports.

All interfaces will be listed. While not obvious, you can drag the interfaces to change the order. Disable any not in use and drag the Retrospect interface to the top of the list.

In reply to:

However, it has also failed once or twice outside of the backup so I think it might be a function of network load rather than a Retrospect problem.

That would be important to find out. Since the problem can be reproduced consistently try disabling other interfaces and connect Retrospect directly to a client with a cross-over cable and try the backup. Do you see the same failures?

Archived