Backup to DVD? + CD?

Hi,

I have a couple of rather basic questions regarding backup to a DVD set using Retrospect Desktop (I couldn't find this issue addressed in the Retrospect User's Guide, nor in the Dantz web site FAQ's or Knowledge Base). My apologies if this has been answered previously.

Everything works fine as far as the data backup itself is concerned (this is a great product). I am backing up a single machine, and my question concerns the backup media. For example, let's say I'm backing up 18 GB of data during an initial (full) backup and it takes 5 DVD's. I'm guessing that the last (#-5) DVD is not full.

Question(s) 1: Can I reuse DVD #-5 to perform incremental backups, adding date to it until it's full? (I'm using Apple DVD-R media). Or am I restricted to a single DVD "burn" per disk?

Question(s) 2: Can I later switch to doing incremental (nightly) backups on a CD-R (or CD-RW) disk after performing the initial backup to a DVD set? If so, do CD-RW's behave differently for this purpose than CD-R's?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to provide.

P.S. I'm using Retrospect Desktop (v5.0.238 with 3.3.104 driver) on a Flat Panel iMac running OS X (v10.2.3). It has a 60 GB Maxtor HD and a Pioneer DVR-104 SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-RW); both factory installed.

In reply to:

Question(s) 1: Can I reuse DVD #-5 to perform incremental backups, adding date to it until it's full? (I'm using Apple DVD-R media). Or am I restricted to a single DVD "burn" per disk?

Retrospect is designed to fill a disc until full. If a session does not fill the disc, a subsequent session will pick up on the same disc - continuing to fill. Once full, the backup will span to the next member.

In reply to:

Question(s) 2: Can I later switch to doing incremental (nightly) backups on a CD-R (or CD-RW) disk after performing the initial backup to a DVD set? If so, do CD-RW's behave differently for this purpose than CD-R's?

You can switch from CD to DVD, however you can not switch DVD to CD.

Archived