My firewire VXA works fine on OSX 10.2.3 and Retrospect 5.0238 with the RDU 3.2.104. However when I updated to the RDU 3.3.104 I notice the Tape drive acted wierd. It would go into the record mode and sit there when it was to be idling causing some problems. Switching back to the older RDU alleviated the problem. Has anyone else noted this problem?

harris@bhc.com

Normally when I launch a script, the VXA drive is in idle using the RDU 3.2, with only the solid green light in the center lit. With the new RDU 3.3, the VXA drive sits with the amber record arrow lit. And it is balky at responding to the script starting the drive.

I also notice it being in the record mode when I inserted a tape and it was just idling with the RDU 3.3

So my question to you still stands. Have they changed something in the RDU 3.3 that affects VXA tape drives????

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to:

So my question to you still stands. Have they changed something in the RDU 3.3 that affects VXA tape drives????

No, and I've been testing the VXA-1 Firewire drive on my computer since last week with RDU 3.3. I've backed up and compared multiple gigs of data spanning multiple backup sessions and have not seen a single problem.

Try downloading a new version of the RDU 3.3 file - yours may be corrupted.

G4 350

OSX 10.2.3

Retrospect 5.0238

RDU 3.3

With Retrospect closed the center light is lit green.

When Retrospect is first launched, the center light is green.

With Retrospect idle after looking at Configure > Devices, the left arrow is green.

With RDU 3.2 I see the exact same behavior. Presumably, the left arrow is lit when the drive has a driver loaded. I don't have documentation as to what the light patterns are indicating. I only see the amber light during the backup.

When I tried 3.3.104 with my iMac running 10.2.3 and Retrospect Server 2.0.238

the system suddenly started acting as if my tape capacity were only 2 GB and

would eject tapes after writing that much. This with a VXA-1 firewire drive.

This was using a file downloaded directly from Dantz.

Things went back to normal when I returned to RDU 3.2.104, although there is

still no hardware compression, despite my making sure that compression was

on and prioritized by the drive's firmware.

Archived