Configure Devices Hangs

tazmaniac

Just installed Ret. Expr. 5.6 with Maxtor One-Touch (5000 LE on USB 2.0) on a new XP system.

When I go to the Configure tab and select Devices, I get a small "Device Scan" window that counts upward to "Checking Device ID 2:0" where it seems to just hang forever and the program title bar eventually shows "(Not Responding)." The little clock-like icon points to mid-way between 6 and 9 clock points.

What would be the problem? Workaround?

And, actually, the manual is a bit obtuse. What exactly is this program option supposed to do -- I THINK it is supposed to identify potential backup TARGETS? Correct?

Thank you.

You are correct - during a device scan, Retrospect is looking for available backup devices.

If you have a USB Smart Card (or Compact Flash) device attached to your PC when Retrospect scans for available storage devices, then you may need to disconnect the card reader prior to using Retrospect. Dantz is investigating this problem and possible solutions.

If you still get the same behavior, shut down the computer and remove all devices. Restart, launch Retrospect and scan for devices. If you don't get a crash, shut the computer down and add a single device. Restart and rescan. If you don't get a crash with one device, continue the process, adding one device at a time until you pinpoint the one that is causing the problem.

Windows XP has a "System Restore" feature turned on by default. To increase backup stability try turn off "System Restore" from System Properties for "all drives" by going to: Control Panels > System > System Restore.

• 2 months later...

Archived