Archiving

Mike_Heaslip

I am interested in installing a version or Retrospect on my Windows 2000 Pro Server. The server is a graphic arts server, and the purpose of the installation would be to archive completed jobs, not backup for clients. I would also like to have the users (Mac and PC) retrieve files remotely from the archives when required, if possible.

Do any of the Retrospect products do this?

It sounds like what you may need to do is a duplicate, rather then a backup or an archive. What is the difference between Backup and Duplicate?

o Backup copies files in a proprietary format only accessible using Retrospect. Duplicate copies files in standard file format so they can be opened or used right on the backup disk without having to go through Retrospect.

o Backups offer optional compression, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups offer optional encryption, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups can save old data incrementally so files deleted from the source are still available in the backup. Duplicate basically keeps a mirror image of the source so each duplicate operation overwrites previous data and only retains the current files.

o Duplicates are always a one-to-one operation; one volume is duplicated to one volume. If you have multiple volumes to duplicate you will have to create an empty folder on the destination for each disk you wish to copy. You can then define those empty folders as "Subvolumes" from within Retrospect. This will allow you to copy Source volume #1 to destination subvolume #1 and Source volume #2 into destination subvolume #2. The Retrospect User's Guide contains detailed instructions on how to configure a folder as a Subvolume.

o Duplicating of the registry is off by default

A backup is written in proprietary format, and the data is only recoverable through a restore operation from the backup server. A duplicate copies the data to another volume, in the original format making it accessible to end users.

Archived