Disappointed

kram

Boy, was I foolish to think I never would have a need to backup data on my hard drive! So I went out and bought Retrospect Express. Big mistake. I wasted hours trying to figure out why my CDs were empty after the backups completed. I received no error messages during the process and my DVD/RW drive was recognized under the "Environment" tab. The so-called user guide was useless. Finally, after stumbling upon these forums I discovered that my Pioneer DVD-RW/DVR 103 drive is not supported. So, I hooked up my Iomega Zip 250, but Retrospect didn't recognize it. After all of this, I ended up simply copying all of my crucial files to the Zip disk. Now I'm stuck with software that -- aside from being difficult to use -- just doesn't work. Any suggestions?

What kind of Zip drive? IDE, Parallel Port, SCSI, USB, Firewire?

Put a disk in the drive.

Confirm the drive/disk can be seen in Windows Explorer

Open Retrospect

Go to Configure > Devices

Do you see the Zip disk listed? If so, you can back up to it.

Go to Immediate > Backup.

Set your source

Create a new destination backup set (Storage Type = Removable Disk)

Backup

I tried the User Guide to no avail. It is very difficult to do a simple thing like pick files to backup to the Maxtor.

The only way I have found to do backups to the Maxtor is by pressing the OneTouch button. And the only way to do Restore is by dragging files from the Maxtor drive back to the C: drive. Restore is very inconvenient compared to other software where you can pick the files you want to restore.

The Maxtor set-up does a Duplicate operation, not a Backup (which allows for Normal and Recycle backup operations).

A duplicate is not truly a backup/restore operation. Duplicates copy the files to the destination in Windows format. While a backup copies that data into a proprietary format - which requires Retrospect in order to access/restore the data. For more information on the differences between a backup and a duplicate, please see the following articles and tutorials on backing up to hard drives:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27646

If you'd like to set up an actual backup, rather then a duplicate, you'll need to set this up within Retrospect, and not through the One-Touch wizard.

Archived