OEM AOpen 203, 206 errors

fcatalano

I've been testing Retrospect 6.0 Professional with an AOpen CRW4048 (the OEM version, repackaged by Cendyne as their 40x12x48 CD-RW). I've only managed to create four coasters so far. Each backup attempt fails on the first disk, more than half-full, with either error 203 or 206, indicating media or hardware failures.

I'm using TDK 48x CD-R media. Retrospect automatically identifies the driver it's using as AOpen CD-RW (1.54).

I have:

- Upgraded Retrospect 6.0 with the RDU 3.6 update (3.6.104)

- Upgraded ASPI to 4.71.2 (from 4.60)

- Verified I have the most recent drivers (no change) and firmware (1.07) for the AOpen.

- Tried to configure a custom Retrospect driver for the AOpen drive, which succeeds, but the backup still fails with a 203 or 206 error.

I have no other packet-writing software on the system that I'm aware of, having uninstalled Retrospect 5.5 and Easy CD Creator/Direct CD when I removed my old Sony CRX-100E CD-RW. I do have Nero Express 5.5.9.17 installed, but not the packet-writing InCD add-on.

The Retrospect compatibility database indicates the AOpen CRW4048 is supported. However, does that also apply to the OEM version (which may have a unique OEM ID string)? Are there any other conflicting drivers I should be looking for? Is there anything else I should try?

I mean, it's been a fun, all-afternoon project, but my wife and son are getting concerned. Thanks.

Frank Catalano

> While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Environment and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive.

Vendor is blank. Product is 40x12x48 CD-RW. Version is 1.07. Driver, if you need that, is AOpen CD-RW (1.54).

It is, however, an AOpen drive (says so on the drive itself) and is repackaged by Cendyne.

> Is this an internal (IDE) drive?

Yes. Installed as a Master (not Slave).

A few hours later ...

I switched to off-brand, Optimum CD-R 48x discs. To my surprise, I was able to complete a normal Retrospect 6.0 backup with no errors.

When I tried to do a subsequent incremental backup on the same Optimum media, I got a single 206 error on the first disc (which I trashed), but the backup proceeded okay after that with another Optimum disc.

This was all using the default Retrospect AOpen driver (no custom configuration).

Why in the world would off-brand, Optimum CD-R media work, and recommended brand-name, TDK, media constantly produce 206 and 203 errors just on the first disc? Of course, it still could have to do with the combination of drive/software, but I thought this data point might be helpful in diagnosis.

Frank Catalano

Hi -

CD burners are very picky in regards to the media, and it is up to the burner to properly deal with the media inserted. Some burners don't work properly with certain brands of media. There is not a tried and true list available of what will work and what won't. Most vendors provide media compabitibility lists for this very reason. The list will provide information on media they have tested and found to work reliably with their device. You may want to check the vendor site to see if there are any specific recommendations.

Amusingly, the very same TDK media I'm having trouble with in using Retrospect is on AOpen's supported media list for the drive ... while the Optimum media (which works with Retrospect) and Verbatim media (which actually came in the AOpen box) is not on their supported list. The TDK media generally works fine using the drive and Nero, but not while using Retrospect.

I suspect the problem is somehow in how Restrospect sends instructions to the drive (or determines optimum drive speed) in concert with the TDK media. But, as with many things tech support, it's hard to determine where the weak link in the chain is.

I'll keep experimenting, and please feel free to use this data point as you fine-tune any support for the AOpen CRW4048 drive. Thanks.

In reply to:

I suspect the problem is somehow in how Restrospect sends instructions to the drive (or determines optimum drive speed) in concert with the TDK media.

Retrospect reads and writes data using various device transports, such as USB, IEEE 1394 or FireWire, ATAPI, and SCSI. Each device transport has its own requirements and limitations, but Retrospect can properly and completely back up data using any of these. Retrospect simply sends commands and data to devices, following each transport's strict protocols. If one brand of media works, and another fails, it in the interaction between the drive and media. Not in the commands sent by the software, which are not media brand specific.

Good to know, and thanks for the explanation.

What this may indicate is that TDK media is no longer be in the top tier of CD-R media quality anymore, if this experience is any indication. Even AOpen says TDK media is certified for the drive, but it's the only brand with which I've had continuing problems. Both Optimum and now Verbatim work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar problem under Win 2k with this drive - all went away when I updated ASPI to v4.72. All of a sudden, devices in 'Media and Devices' showed up under ASPI instead of NT Passthrough, and everything worked beautifully! I think this must be the crucial step. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Archived